Several thousand "Unable to find filefor storable" error messages when opening an old "xyz.daz" file

3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,719
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

When I open one of my old .DAZ files (either by double clicking the "xyz.daz" file ( it opens in DS 4.6), or by opening DS3 / DS4.6 and doing File > Open) everything seems fine until at the end of the loading I get the "Unable To Find File" pop-up. I go to the log file and find thousands and thousands of "unable to find file for storable: /data/3_0/..." lines.

Iirc all those missing files were generated by DAZ Studio when I originally loaded things, and put into the 'My Documents'folder - "/My Documents/DAZ3D/..." (I use Windows).

I'm not using the same user account as when I created these files (I'm not even using the same computer) - so if my assumption is correct how can I get around this little problem?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

LogExtract.png
1086 x 504 - 75K
UnableToFind.png
533 x 160 - 28K

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,341
    edited December 1969

The files are written to the Data folder by earlier versions of DS when saving imported (OBJ or Poser) content to a scene for the first time. If you backed up the Data folder you can just restore it to a DAZ Studio Format content directory. If not your only real option is to reinstall DS3 (if necessary), load the content, and save to a scene - that's geometry and morphs only, poses, lights, textures etc. don't need reloading. Fortunately DS4 does keep a note of the original file, and so can recover better from a missing Data folder.

• 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,719
    edited December 1969

Thanks Richard, that's what I thought...

Oh dear...

(Never mind though... looking on the bright side there's not too many scenes that I saved from DS3 alone, since I liked to use my scenes in both Poser and DAZ Studio and most were PZ3 files)