Checkbox Not Enough - Global Illumination

**When Rendering using Realistic Sky and Sun Light:

Using the Global Illumination section can cause an increase in output times.

This time increase seems to be affected most by the use of 'Indirect Light'.

If turning Global Illumination OFF - Set the slider values to zero -- before unchecking Sky Light or Indirect Light boxes.

Setting the slider value to zero may yield some performance increase. ** especially on large projects, and after multiple render passes.

Carrara_Render_snip.png
248 x 209 - 27K

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

thanks for that Tip!! very helpful !

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

Very cool info to know and try! Thanks!

Do you ever mess around with the lighting etc., quality sliders below all of that?

Default tends to produce a pretty nice result, but it can be improved if need be.

• Thanks for the feedback Dartanbeck and Headwax!!

Yes, the default settings are very nice Dartanbeck.

I have not had much quality gain / vs. heavy time increase -  with those lower section render settings.

Using caustics tends to add 'bright spot blowback' especially with high Skylight and Indirect Light slider settings.

It may add an artistic effect, but I don't see an increase in realism.

The standard Carrara Photorealistic Render and Default Lights are fantastic.

Each built in light has its own signature tone.

I suggest turning Ambient light off for all renders. ( Located under SCENE )

Turning Motion Blur on in the lower render section - can remove landscape render  'Twinkles'.

Carrara Rocks - Carrara Next

Ambient_Screenshot.png
    262 x 198 - 25K
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Excellent tip, Distant Star, I didn't know that!  All this time and that escaped me, smh.  Thank you very much!  :)

I use Global Illumination a lot, and I once did a series of experiments to see what the best settings for both speed and quality would be.  One interesting thing I learned, which is very counterintuitive, is that checking 'Full Raytracing (higher Quality)' actually improves render speed.  Not by a ton, but a couple of seconds faster every frame of a test animation I created, the rendering was consistantly faster over multiple tests.  I had assumed that the Full Raytracing checkbox would actually slow down render speed, but it turns out it's the opposite.  :)

• Great follow up suggestion Jonstark!

I am also searching for the fastest animation rendering times.

There seems to be a correlation between smooth 'rendering execution' and good animation output.

Animation Renders that have to be 'wrenched out' are inferior.

**Remember you can also drop down your frame rate when testing animation renders.

I assemble and preview test at 6fps.

After 'Global Illumination' the most impact on render time seems to be - AntiAliasing.