Help with smoke

BC RiceBC Rice Posts: 591
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

So I was wanting a character to jump through some smoke and have the smoke react to them moving through it. In a perfect world, the smoke would sort of stick and drag and hold onto them as they jump through it, but any kind of reaction would be great.

Any idea of where to start for that kind of effect?

Thanks!

Comments

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited January 2015

BC Rice said:
    So I was wanting a character to jump through some smoke and have the smoke react to them moving through it. In a perfect world, the smoke would sort of stick and drag and hold onto them as they jump through it, but any kind of reaction would be great.

Thanks!

Several ways you can do this, I would use a sphere that is invisible that is about twice the size of your character at frame zero. Then at one second or so as your character are traveling across your scene (parented together in a group) I would turn on visibility for your character figure

For the particle emitter smoke, I would crank up the particles very high.

The secret to getting the smoke follow the character is to check the radial dial emitter object and choose either the invisible sphere or your figure.

smoke_finish.jpg
    658 x 492 - 46K
    change_shader_function_for_smoke.jpg
    635 x 320 - 62K
    attaching_smoke_to_character.jpg
    609 x 556 - 56K
    Post edited by Design Acrobat on
  • JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

BC Rice said:

Thanks!

Blender.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

For Carrara solutions, DA's example is good. He looks like he's using meta-balls, but there are other ways to get a smoke effect from the particle emitter if the metaballs don't fit the bill.

Carrara has a smoke preset that's a good starting point, but it was broken somehow in C8 and I'm not sure if it was fixed for C8.5. The fix was fairly simple and I have the fixed smoke emitter on ShareCG here:
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/64199/view/5/3D-Model/Carrara-Particle-Smoke

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

I've seen PhilW use the particle emitter and then apply a blur to the objects emitted to look like smoke. It was also important in his approach that the texture gradient of the objects be based on time so they fiery coming out of an engine and then darker over time. I don't remember if it was in the intro or the advanced, but here is another thread recommending PhilW.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    I've seen PhilW use the particle emitter and then apply a blur to the objects emitted to look like smoke. It was also important in his approach that the texture gradient of the objects be based on time so they fiery coming out of an engine and then darker over time. I don't remember if it was in the intro or the advanced, but here is another thread recommending PhilW.

I would look at the smoke emitter and its shader. No need to blur, although that is a good option to keep in mind.

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

For Carrara solutions, DA's example is good. He looks like he's using meta-balls, but there are other ways to get a smoke effect from the particle emitter if the metaballs don't fit the bill.

Carrara has a smoke preset that's a good starting point, but it was broken somehow in C8 and I'm not sure if it was fixed for C8.5. The fix was fairly simple and I have the fixed smoke emitter on ShareCG here:
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/64199/view/5/3D-Model/Carrara-Particle-Smoke

Thanks for that old particle effect EP, don't know why but it's not working in version 8.

I used the mudflow particle for a long time to simulate smoke - it was a pain because I never wrote the shaders down and had to re-learn what I discovered. :)

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969
  • Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

BC Rice said:

Thanks!

Just an idea. What about parenting a a point force or a flow force to the character. It would at least have the smoke react to the movement .