Glow inside murky liquid shader/surface question

cheetiotcheetiot Posts: 25
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hey all. Sorry if this has already been answered before, but I've searched and not found anything. Basically I'm trying to make lots of alien characters for my pics, and I'm starting to look at ways to make some of them less human-looking. One of the ideas I've got seems interesting but I can't figure out how to do it or if it's even possible.

What I've done is hidden the character's eyes, then replaced them with simple spheres with smaller spheres inside them just behind the front surface. What I'm hoping to get is an eye that seems like it's filled with a thick cloudy/murky liquid that is a little transparent. Then I want the smaller sphere to somehow give off a glow effect inside the eye, essentially creating what would be the character's pupil. I don't actually want the surface of the small sphere visible, just the glow effect it creates. It just seems like it would be a cool visual effect, kind of like the light inside the bottle, but not as intense.

Is there anything in Daz that can create this kind of effect? I've tried playing around with both ubervolume and aoa subsurface, and tried ambient/uberarealight on the smaller sphere, but my small brain can't figure it out. Also I'm still using 3Delight, but I do have Luxus/Luxrender available, but have never used those yet.

I'm assuming it's not possible but any ideas/help would be awesome.
Thanks
Cheet

glow.jpg
380 x 460 - 29K
eyes.jpg
500 x 380 - 27K

Comments

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

What I’ve done is hidden the character’s eyes, then replaced them with simple spheres with smaller spheres inside them just behind the front surface. What I’m hoping to get is an eye that seems like it’s filled with a thick cloudy/murky liquid that is a little transparent. Then I want the smaller sphere to somehow give off a glow effect inside the eye, essentially creating what would be the character’s pupil. I don’t actually want the surface of the small sphere visible, just the glow effect it creates. It just seems like it would be a cool visual effect, kind of like the light inside the bottle, but not as intense.

You don't say which figure your using but if it is a genesis 2 figure this is what I would try. First scrap the extra spheres part of the plan. I think it will be overly complex. I would use the eye surface as the "murky" and the real pupil as the pupil. I'm going to guess that the AoA sss shader would be the best bet for the murky because of the combined sss and translucence. You may have to fiddle with the opacity and so forth to get the look you want. For the pupil you can use just a high ambient so it seems to glow (easiest to render) or use the uberarea light as a surface for the pupil and have it actually give off some light. If you go that rout then your going to want to do some research here on the boards about how it works.