Imported Daz Studio models and Boolean operations

Tanith69Tanith69 Posts: 4
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Hi all,

I'm having problems with models imported from Daz Studio and performing boolean operations on these models in Bryce.

When dealing with the imported models, either by Exporting to Bryce or by importing an .obj file exported from Studio, I'm doing the requisite steps to prepare the models for boolean, ie. ungrouping, setting all meshes to positive, etc. I'm finding that when I regroup the meshes, however, I'm losing transparency settings from the imported materials. This is not acceptable! ;-) If the models are ungrouped, even with boolean set to positive, the transparency settings in the materials are rendered properly; when grouped and set to positive, however, weird and wacky stuff transpires, mostly having to do with random mesh faces just disappearing from the model (please see attached image).

The models I'm using are a mixture of wings and clothing models, as well as the figures, but all with the default textures applied. No adjustment has been made to the base textures supplied with the models.

Has anyone else encountered this, and if so, have they formed a work-around? I've searched high and low on Google, and attempted everything I can think of, but this seems to be a deep-seated bug or something. Any tip in the right direction appreciated!

Thanks,
Sean

angel-for-forum.jpg
1360 x 490 - 118K

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,294
    edited January 2015

@Tanith69 - welcome to this forum. I'm not the expert on this and I don't usually make changes on DAZ figures except for adapting all materials for Bryce. However, you don't need to ungroup an object to change attributes. You can access the individual meshes within the group. You can also set the whole group to positive so you can boolean any other object to it.

Post edited by Horo on
  • Tanith69Tanith69 Posts: 4
    edited January 2015

Hi Horo,

First, thanks so much for all the tutorials and assistance over the years from yourself and David. Very much appreciated, and most helpful!

Unfortunately, setting the figure group to Positive doesn't have the desired result when grouping to boolean. I've attached an (obviously) adjusted screenshot below. I've run into this in the past, whereby a complex group needs to be ungrouped to have a boolean treatment applied, and actually have seen this noted as a required step in certain online tutorials. And setting the Positive attributes of individual elements inside the figure group (Select All Meshes) results in the same loss of transparency.

Again unfortunately, the ungrouping is what destroys the transparency settings in the materials used. I'm pretty sure it's a bug somewhere between boolean and transparency; I've researched, tested, and tried everything to get around it. Perhaps someone from Daz has some input?

Cheers!

angel-for-forum2.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 151K
    Post edited by Tanith69 on
    edited December 1969

@Tanith69 - oh, that's bad luck. Hopefully, someone else who knows these things better than I will be able to give you better advice.

edited January 2015

@Tanith69 - I just made a quick test with Michael3. I kept it grouped and set that group to positive. Then I selected some parts (legs, skin, trousers) one after the other and set them positive. Then I booleaned a negative cube to it and the feet were without the legs. You can select individual meshes by holding down the CTRL key and click on the group, you get a list of meshes you can select.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Hi Horo,

Yes, I'm familiar with the CTRL key method, and tried that; the problem isn't with a base model (eg. Michael3); it's with complex materials having transparency masks imported with the .mtl files attached to the .obj file (or converted for import into Bryce).

Yes, the models will boolean if the individual mesh elements are set to positive -- that isn't the problem; the problem is that, when they are, the transparency screws up. This won't happen with a simplistic model and material like a base figure, only with complex materials (feathers, fabrics, etc).

Hope that helps. Cheers!

edited December 1969

Actually, Horo, all is not lost; I'm merely going to have to do a lot of post work to get the models into the proper configuration for the actual layout. I was hoping to save time by performing the work in Bryce; looks like that wasted a lot more time than it saved.

Thanks for the help. Cheers.

edited December 1969

Well, I've run into this problem yet again, on another (unrelated) project. Any luck with anyone (preferably from Daz themselves) with an answer to this bug? Unfortunately, it's really screwing with my work-flow; it'd be much easier if the meshes didn't drop their faces when imported from Poser, and then booleaned in Bryce.

Just a thought: is it possible to boolean in Poser? Perhaps that would nip this problem in the bud before export.

Anyone?