Aurelio NY city buildings sets - looks fine but any issues in Carrara?

With the PA sale going on, I thought I would target something I can stack the PA coupon of monthy PC.  I admire the look of the New York sets by Aurelio.  Has anyone tried them in Carrara?  If the only issue is the material shaders for Daz Studio, I'm sure I can address those as per usual.  But are there any unexpected instances or similar that would be more problematic?  I guess the fire escapes could be instanced, for example.  I don't think so but worth asking.

https://www.daz3d.com/aurelio

Because I am asking about a product and not announcing a sale, I hesitated to post this in the sale thread.

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,036
    edited September 2021

the ones I have https://www.daz3d.com/new-york-stores work in Carrara and iClone but not in Twinmotion surprise don't have the latest one.

not that that's relevant but they do the weird parenting thing that breaks exports to many apps, I strongly suspect, not tried yet that it won't work in Unreal Engine either,

it explodes in Twinmotion and obj or FBX export to Carrara would too most likely, the duf if I recall works but needs the UV untick

I vaguely remember having an issue lighting the windows in Octane 4 Carrara 

this is how it loads, it gave an unspecified error I ignored, I cannot find my scene or video, it is probably not on this PC

Untitled.jpg
    1916 x 1042 - 481K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

I like those too.

edited September 2021

hmmm am getting error trying to save my scene, no idea why
    i have tried reloading it and it just cannot be saved, I updated DAZ studio not just the beta and wondering if related

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Thank you, Wendy.  Looks promising enough to give a try.  I will buy the Tenements that I have had my eye on.  I usually don't mind sorting out the shaders for something like this.  Hopefully I can sort out whatever is causing the error.  If not, there is always the return policy.

edited September 2021

Similar issues.  Hmmm.

https://www.daz3d.com/new-york-tenements

I was able to load a single tenement building fine.  I was able to load the whole set but that took a very long time.  No error for loading these.

However, as Wendy reported, I get an error trying to save them.  I tried to save as a native Carrara CAR file.  I tried exporting as FBX.  I tried exporting as dae collada.  Errors each time trying to save.

I really like this set.  And I would like to get the series of New York buildings for a consistent story setting.  On the other hand, these building facades are the kind of thing I should be able to do myself - maybe not quite as good quality, but certainly plausible backgrounds.  Hmmm.

Trying to decide whether to keep it and fuss or return it.

error save as.jpg
    1730 x 1009 - 308K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited September 2021

I am certain it worked on my Win7, this is now my Win10 rig, I will test on 7 later.

I don't know if resaving in DAZ studio may help, it could be something incompatible

you could render the facades in DAZ studio as png billboards enlightened

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

Diomede said:

With the PA sale going on, I thought I would target something I can stack the PA coupon of monthy PC.  I admire the look of the New York sets by Aurelio.  Has anyone tried them in Carrara?  If the only issue is the material shaders for Daz Studio, I'm sure I can address those as per usual.  But are there any unexpected instances or similar that would be more problematic?  I guess the fire escapes could be instanced, for example.  I don't think so but worth asking.

https://www.daz3d.com/aurelio

Because I am asking about a product and not announcing a sale, I hesitated to post this in the sale thread.

what if you load in DS and convert to prop then export as an OBJ?  

Similar idea as Stezza.  I was able to export from Daz Studio as FBX and got the obj.  I loaded the OBJ in Carrara and was able to then save the Carrara file.  Unfortunately, this loses the rigging so the doors and windows won't open in Carrara as intended.  It is a start.  I will continue tinkering with it.  I think it is worth keeping.  I can always copy and past part of the mesh if I want to be able to manipulate the doors and windows.

Thank you Wendy and Stezza for the helpful suggestions.

Yep. Being a prop makes it as easy as cutting out doors and windows from a duplicate. Then duplicate that to individualize each door and window, etc.,

Add some limits (or not) and call it a day! ;)

Sorry that it took all that to get working though. I really like the products that I have that just work. When I get these, and I see that they're coming from a certain artist, I tend to watch that artist's store with interest. I think I only have a scarce few product from The DigiVault that I don't own yet. Same with Petipet, RavnHeart, Stonemason, Faveral, Nightshift 3d, and others.

One of my new discoveries that I've been using in Daz Studio is Andrey Pestryokov, and I've been wondering how well they work in Carrara, but haven't tried them yet.

Since then I've seen some of them in Khoe's awesome renders - so that makes me happy!!!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

Andrey Pestryokov's Forest and Blooming alley crash carrara -r carrara goes into a death spin

You can bring it in to Carrara if you save Forest out in Poser (poser has no trouble loading it)  - so maybe you can do that via studio

Blooming alley I think I had to load everything seperately and got plenty of crashes - so don't loadthem as an after thought into an almost finished scene

• AP also uses complicated shaders, you can put his masks in mixer operators as the mix for tiles diffuse, bump etc but it it's a bit of guesswork, I managed to get interesting if not duplicated results 

• this looks like it would fit with those sets too, era wise at least

https://www.daz3d.com/1920-city-street

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

I might try and model a facade ... 'cause it's such a cool word angel

edited September 2021

Stezza said:

I might try and model a facade ... 'cause it's such a cool word angel

Same here.  I like the Aurelio series because they form a nice consistent setting for a comic or graphic novel.  One of the things I liked about one of the areas I worked was the mix of styles; stuff got remodeled over several generations.  One building had been a commercial department store, then a theater, then a church, then an apartment building.  A local historian led a tour and pointed out little things about the buildings that showed the legacy of each use.  Have to kitbash or model myself to get the unique feel of a specific neighborhood like that.  But for generic city background, I really like Aurelio's series.

Post edited by Diomede on

WendyLuvsCatz said:

this looks like it would fit with those sets too, era wise at least

https://www.daz3d.com/1920-city-street

Thanks for the notice.  I picked it up.  Polish always does a good job.  The individual buildings load easily in Carrara and can be saved easily.  One minor quibble, Polish did not rig the doors and windows, so in effect it is the same as exporting Aurelio's set as an obj and losing the rigging.  

edited September 2021

Man, too bad that Stonemason's Urban Sprawl (first one) is no longer being sold. It's such a great city environment done in Stonemason's "this thing will work in any (ANY) software" approach. Individual parts can be extracted if need be, but I never had to with the original because as big as it is, it's not overly Huge.

I like it so much that I often want to grab Urban Sprawl 2 and 3, but haven't had a need for more yet.

I also use Coflek-Gnorg's various city construction kits to change up Urban Sprawl. Sometimes I'll just grab a simle facade product and drop that in as well. 

I also love my Faveral Medieval City kit! Yikes is that ever versatile as well as being light on its feet!!!

All of the Medieval Village kits work well with it too.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on