Difference between Carrara Pro and regular Carrara?

WheatpennyWheatpenny Posts: 31
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I just upgraded from Carrara 8.5 to Carrara 8.5 Pro. The main reason I did so is because it was only $65 for PC members, and also to get the extra content that comes with it (that alone was worth the upgrade), but now that I have it, I want to know what I got for my money? IOW, what does Carrara Pro have that Carrara doesn't?
I know that the Ocean Primitive used to be a Carrara Pro exclusive, but I seem to remember seeing it in Carrara regular too, but what else is different about it?

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited January 2015

there's a couple of modeling tools pacific to pro.

the gordon thingee is very kewl. if i was gonna model a sweater for mil dog, it's what i'd use.

3D Painting (Pro only)
    Spline Tweener (Pro only)
    Vector and 3D Motion Blur (Pro only)
    Multi-Pass Rendering (Pro)

**waves :lol: just recognized the penny from the writer's forum

Post edited by Mistara on
  • rk66rk66 Posts: 438
    edited January 2015

Hi,

Pro:
    - 32 and 64 bit
    - more import and export formats (FBX, DirectX, CAD...)
    - more vertex modeling tools
    - Graph Editor
    - 3D Painting
    - Network Rendering
    - Multi-Pass Rendering

Edit:
    - Bullet Physics

Ocean primitive:
    (In Carrara 8 I think free for 30 days )

rk.

Post edited by rk66 on
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716
    edited January 2015

This thread may help
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/27859/

Carrara Pro has a 64bit version, Carrara Standard does not. For me, that alone is worth the extra.

Edit: Way to slow again, rk66 gave a great list!

Post edited by DustRider on
  • WheatpennyWheatpenny Posts: 31
    edited January 2015

OK, thanks. I have the 64-bit version installed, and it seems like I made the right decision to upgrade. I've ordered a DVD with some Carrara tuts and I've been checking out some YouTube tuts as well. (I had Carrara 5 Pro about 9 or 10 years ago, back when Eovia still owned it, but I never got very far with it, and I bought the regular Carrara 8.5 last year, but haven't done much with it, so hopefully these tuts will get me going. I love the art I've seen done with Carrara, and I bought this originally intending to use it as my primary rendering software as a replacement for Bryce which is a bit too limited in what it can do. I do most of my modeling in 3dsMax and Shade, but I might also try my hand at native Carrara modeling as well.
    Well, again thanks for the answer to my question.

Oh, and , Hi Misty. Yeah, it's me, I don't post here often but I figured this Carrara forum is a bit more active than the one at Rendo, so I figured I'd get an answer faster here.

Post edited by Wheatpenny on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited January 2015

A little less negative here as well.

I used to have C5 standard and went to C7.2 Pro years ago. I recommend to everybody, that if it is in the budget, get the Pro version.

Did they already mention that network Render Nodes are a Pro only feature?

Also, when you enter the C8.5 Pro serial number in the 32 bit version of C8.5 it unlocks the Pro 32 bit version?

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • rk66rk66 Posts: 438
    edited December 1969

Hi,

Render Nodes:
    I think Pro only.

Carrara 8.5 feature list:
    http://www.daz3d.com/carrara-8-5

Carrara 8.5 Pro feature list (scroll down):
    http://www.daz3d.com/carrara-8-5-pro

And yes, it unlocks.

rk.