Trying to "purchase" the new 8.5 Beta... o_O;

eponicaeponica Posts: 197
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi y'all ^_^

The 8.5 Pro general release has been slowing down on launch for me the last couple of weeks. This morning it suddenly decided to just crash on launch instead, so I figured I'd reinstall it, and while I was at it, install the new beta.

The Beta is not listed in my Product Library, so I used the link from the Beta post in this forum to put it in my cart. According to the forum it is supposed to automatically discount to $0 at checkout as I already own Carrara.

Now I am on the Place Order page and it has only discounted $85. It still wants to charge me $199.00 o_O

Since I only have about $20 to my name right now :lol: I am understandably reluctant to click that final Place Order button.

Anyone else have experience with the "automatic" $0 discount...?

C_Beta_purchase.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 153K

Comments

• rampart_1576840087rampart_1576840087 Posts: 504
    edited December 1969

Have I missed something?

Who would ever buy a beta software?

The reason it is called beta is a code word for "this software is full of bugs" use at your own risk.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2015

I just experimented. I found the beta here http://www.daz3d.com/carrara-8-5-beta and it says I have already "purchased" it, so I then went to my product Library and sure enough it is already in my Product Library. So it appeared there automagically it seems.

I agree however that if I tried to purchase it again it did give me a price in the cart, so I shall query this for you.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Eric3dddEric3ddd Posts: 67
    edited December 1969

And even if you wanted to purchase the full version, it should be $171 with the current 40% off discount. http://www.daz3d.com/carrara-8-5-pro

• eponicaeponica Posts: 197
    edited December 1969

Hi Rampart. Yes, that is my point. The Beta should be free to previous owners of the software, as I am. :)

edited December 1969

eponica said:
    Hi Rampart. Yes, that is my point. The Beta should be free to previous owners of the software, as I am. :)

As I said I have filed a query on this, but I am not sure that I will get a reply before I retire for the night, as it is already 11:15pm here.
    edited January 2015

Hi Chohole :) Thank you for looking into this.

I am logged in, (or I wouldn't be able to post on the forum,) and I just went to the page via your link. The page just gives me the price, and it won't admit I already purchased Carrara 8.5 Pro! See below... :P I have thoroughly searched my Product Library too, and it Does list Carrara 8.5 Pro, but not the Beta... o_O;

EDIT: They lost my wishlist awhile back. I wonder if that has something to do with this?

Carrara_Beta_2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 228K
    Post edited by eponica on
    edited December 1969

They are talking about this at the moment. It seems possible that the Beta has actually expired. I will let you know tomorrow if I get any further info.

edited December 1969

Thanks much, Chohole :)

• Eric3dddEric3ddd Posts: 67
    edited December 1969

If I go to My Account > Product Library, the beta shows up in the list.

Screen_Shot_2015-01-29_at_8.07_.36_AM_.png
    1095 x 837 - 499K
  • rampart_1576840087rampart_1576840087 Posts: 504
    edited December 1969

I don't get it. Public Beta, etc.

Why would anyone want to take a chance on corrupting their work with a Beta?

Even if this were a pre-release beta I don't see the point.

Maybe there are some necessary fixes for some users would be my best guess.

edited December 1969

Hi Eric and Rampart :) I just went to my Product Library again and sorted the list alphabetically as you did. Carrara shows up all right, but not that beta o_O; This is so strange!

Rampart, I usually don't do betas, but this one is supposed to incorporate several fixes, including a fix to a crash problem which I find annoying. Besides, I am happy to be a DAZ guinea pig. They can't perfect their software without folks trying it :)

Carrara_Beta_3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 132K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

The main thing about that Beta was the PostGRBLAHBLAHBLAH Database thingy so Studio and Carrara would be on the same page.

edited December 1969

Hi Evil :) I wondered about that one, as my current Carrara install has had no real trouble with Smart Content. I read somewhere the crash-on-exit has been fixed, and that happens to me constantly so I thought I'd try the beta :P

Since Carrara's relative Bryce does not like huge file folders, I removed a bunch of rendered bitmap files from my Carrara User Scenes and now the original install is booting again, albeit extremely slowly (takes about 5 minutes to get past the splash screen, then works fine.) I may start a new thread about that problem, as I can't seem to find much info about it. So the beta thing is definitely not a crisis (not that it ever really was.) I am just interested in why I can't seem to acquire this beta. :)