Is there a software that can do this?

JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I can render out an animation in Octane as a sequenced PNG. I was thinking of doing an animation in Carrara as a multipass, just to get the hair pass and shadow pass for the hair, and then wanted to put that together with the Octane animation. I know I could use Gimp to combine the hair frame by frame, but I thought surely there must already be some software that can combine 2 animations into one combining the alphas of one animation and superimposing onto another animation.

Or maybe I'm wrong, never tried something like this before. Anyone know offhand what sort of software would be needed to do this kind of thing?

Comments

• DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    I can render out an animation in Octane as a sequenced PNG. I was thinking of doing an animation in Carrara as a multipass, just to get the hair pass and shadow pass for the hair, and then wanted to put that together with the Octane animation. I know I could use Gimp to combine the hair frame by frame, but I thought surely there must already be some software that can combine 2 animations into one combining the alphas of one animation and superimposing onto another animation.

Or maybe I'm wrong, never tried something like this before. Anyone know offhand what sort of software would be needed to do this kind of thing?

You're talking PD Howler. This tut is part of a series that addresses what you seem to be asking about. Of course Adobe After Effect or or Hit Film or Eyeon Fusion would do this as well. Each one with a unique learning curve.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited December 1969

I believe in Photoshop using scripting you can have it take two PNG files and merge together then save the file.
    It may even have it set as an available script out of the box which would simplify the process.
    otherwise the video program may be able to do it depending on the video editor you are using.

• aspinaspin Posts: 219
    edited December 1969

Sony Vegas Pro can handle Alpha channels of PNG sequences

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,039
    edited December 1969

Cinegobs keyer

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Thanks guys! Sony Vegas Pro is (phew!) a little over my budget for something like this, however the recommendation of PD Howler along with the tutorial video (thanks Dada, that was exactly what I needed and easy to follow) looks like just the thing. I've been trying to figure out what PD howler is and does for a while now, and Dart's always recommended it, looks like it probably does a lot more useful stuff that maybe eventually I'll need someday, and it's priced more in line with what I'd consider affordable (though I'm perplexed how it is that version 9.5 seems to be $10 less expensive than version 9.1...)

Cineglobs keyer I couldn't find a website for them directly, lots of download sites from free download places, but I'm always a bit wary of the free download sites and don't really like to download from them, I'm willing to pay for this function as long as I can make sure I don't somehow get some malware or something, so I'm leaning more towards PD howler on this, especially as it seems to have a hugely long feature list (though I admit I have no idea what any of the rest of it does :) )

Thanks for the suggestions!

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    Thanks guys! Sony Vegas Pro is (whew!) a little over my budget for something like this, however the recommendation of PD Howler along with the tutorial video (thanks Dada, that was exactly what I needed and easy to follow) looks like just the thing. I've been trying to figure out what PD howler is and does for a while now, and Dart's always recommended it, looks like it probably does a lot more useful stuff that maybe eventually I'll need someday, and it's priced more in line with what I'd consider affordable (though I'm perplexed how it is that version 9.5 seems to be $10 less expensive than version 9.1...)

Cineglobs keyer I couldn't find a website for them directly, lots of download sites from free download places, but I'm always a bit wary of the free download sites and don't really like to download from them, I'm willing to pay for this function as long as I can make sure I don't somehow get some malware or something, so I'm leaning more towards PD howler on this, especially as it seems to have a hugely long feature list (though I admit I have no idea what any of the rest of it does :) )

Thanks for the suggestions!

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

Blender has a very nice node compositor that can do what you want, I believe. And it's free. And node compositing is a very nice tool that is used widely by professionals.

In fact, if you want to get a job in the VFX industry, you MUST be a master at a composting application called "Nuke". And they are planning on releasing a free version for non-commercial use early this year. Don't even think about getting a job in the 3D industry, at all, without being a master of Nuke. I'm serious.

(sorry, that last paragraph was a joke...just poking some fun at some folks here...) :) :)

But the part about them releasing a free, non-commercial version early this year is true I believe. Which is cool. Otherwise it's very expensive. But it's an excellent compositing application.

And I'd suggest you try Blender for this too. It's really surprisingly good for a free app. Or you could get After Effects, of course, if you prefer layer-based. But that's kind of expensive too.

edited December 1969

Thanks Joe, I never realized Blender could do that too, I'll have to take a closer look, maybe scan to see if someone's done a tutorial somewhere on how to accomplish that. A free solution is certainly also an affordable solution, after all.

Actually I believe it's a complete and unchallenged fact that if you apply for any job even related to the industry, if you don't have the ability to quote verbatim the full manual for Nuke, backwards and in latin, that not only will you not get the job but the interviewer has the full legal right and duty to shoot you dead! :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,039
    edited January 2015

http://cinegobs.com/
    actually its creator is a DAZ user as far as I know, he was an old forum regular
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/member/1225921
    edited, yes he even mentions Carrara in his news

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    Thanks Joe, I never realized Blender could do that too, I'll have to take a closer look, maybe scan to see if someone's done a tutorial somewhere on how to accomplish that. A free solution is certainly also an affordable solution, after all.

Actually I believe it's a complete and unchallenged fact that if you apply for any job even related to the industry, if you don't have the ability to quote verbatim the full manual for Nuke, backwards and in latin, that not only will you not get the job but the interviewer has the full legal right and duty to shoot you dead! :)

Most sophisticated video editors can do this. FCP (Apple) can do this and it uses a layer type metaphor similar to PS, Premiere and After Effects. Cheap or free consumer lever editors may be lacking in this department, so if the Blender thing doesn't fit the bill, you may get stuck paying at least a little money for the ability.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited January 2015

Just thinking out loud here, but you could probably do it in Carrara! Use two planes mapped with the sequenced images (or one plane and the backdrop). You can kill lights and use the glow channel to make the planes show the images unaffected by lighting. If you use an isometric camera, you can avoid parallax issues, just scale both planes to match the camera frame and you should have it. I have often thought that you could use Carrara as a poor man's compositor or video effects tool - obviously not as powerful and flexible as using a dedicated software, but enough to get you out of a hole!

Edit: Actually, if you know your way around the shader room, you could probably do it with just one plane and operators to combine the images...

Post edited by PhilW on
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    I have often thought that you could use Carrara as a poor man's compositor or video effects tool - obviously not as powerful and flexible as using a dedicated software, but enough to get you out of a hole..

Blender is free....and I believe in this latest version they actually removed all the cooties, so if you use it you don't have to worry about getting cooties and stuff.. :) :)

(just joking a bit, poking some fun at the "Carrara or die" folks...) :) :) :) :)

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    I have often thought that you could use Carrara as a poor man's compositor or video effects tool - obviously not as powerful and flexible as using a dedicated software, but enough to get you out of a hole..

Blender is free....and I believe in this latest version they actually removed all the cooties, so if you use it you don't have to worry about getting cooties and stuff.. :) :)

(just joking a bit, poking some fun at the "Carrara or die" folks...) :) :) :) :)

Well, it is a Carrara forum, so it makes sense that the answers would tend to be Carrara-centric. ;-)

Jon's familiarity with Carrara, and Phil's suggestion would probably be much quicker to implement than the actual time it would take to download and install Blender, let alone figuring out the software. Not that adding another tool to the toolbox is a bad idea, but if time is also a factor...

edited December 1969

PhilW said:

Ha - as I wrote it, I was thinking "Bet Joe will love this!" ;-) :-)

And I have no idea what a cootie is, I guess it's an American thing...

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    PhilW said:

Ha - as I wrote it, I was thinking "Bet Joe will love this!" ;-) :-)

And I have no idea what a cootie is, I guess it's an American thing...

It's a form of vermin of the lice variety. Historically, its most common form of transmission was when little ten year old girls would give it to little ten year old boys during school recess by trying to touch them. The boys would usually recoil in disgust, exclaiming, "eew, don't touch me, you'll give me cooties!" To which the girls would chase down the boy and try and touch him, and say, "nyah, nyah!" or some other nonsensical taunt.

edited December 1969

It's a form of vermin of the lice variety. Historically, its most common form of transmission was when little ten year old girls would give it to little ten year old boys during school recess by trying to touch them. The boys would usually recoil in disgust, exclaiming, "eew, don't touch me, you'll give me cooties!" To which the girls would chase down the boy and try and touch him, and say, "nyah, nyah!" or some other nonsensical taunt.

It's funny how people raised in different parts of the country could learn the EXACT same meaning of words like cooties. But Evil's definition is EXACTLY correct, down to the "eewww" and the "nyah nya". Pretty amazing. :) :) :)

edited December 1969

It's funny how people raised in different parts of the country could learn the EXACT same meaning of words like cooties. But Evil's definition is EXACTLY correct, down to the "eewww" and the "nyah nya". Pretty amazing. :) :) :)

I wonder how long a Wikipedia entry like that would last? :lol:

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

I love that this forum can be a social history channel too! :)

edited January 2015

Tim_A said:

Hmmm.... Maybe something to help you Redcoats relate would be better:

It’s a form of vermin of the kilted variety. Historically, its most common form of transmission was when little ten year old girls would give it to little ten year old boys during school recess by trying to touch them. The boys would usually recoil in disgust, exclaiming, “blimey, don’t touch me, you’ll give me Scotsmen!” To which the girls would chase down the boy and try and touch him, and say, “nonny, nonny, Mary Queen of Scots!” or some other nonsensical taunt.

;-P

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:

Hmmm.... Maybe something to help you Redcoats relate would be better:

It’s a form of vermin of the kilted variety. Historically, its most common form of transmission was when little ten year old girls would give it to little ten year old boys during school recess by trying to touch them. The boys would usually recoil in disgust, exclaiming, “blimey, don’t touch me, you’ll give me Scotsmen!” To which the girls would chase down the boy and try and touch him, and say, “nonny, nonny, Mary Queen of Scots!” or some other nonsensical taunt.

;-P
    OK, NOW I understand!