Morph Creation Problem

Hey-yo,

so i modeled this window with hinges and creaqted morphs to open it, but they aren't working correctly.

looks like it's squashing rather than roaring.

any help?

2b.jpg
2319 x 1268 - 280K

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Are you rotating or sliding?

Morphs average the distance from original position to end position.  So a morph dial at 0.5 moves each point 50% of the distance to end position.  A morph will not work well for something intended to be rotated.  The points will not swing out and back; instead, they will squish and stretch.

When rotating is desired in Carrara, simply parent one object to another and move the hot point of the rotating object to the axis around which you want it to rotate.

• mschackmschack Posts: 337
    edited September 2021

visually...

morph.PNG
    478 x 352 - 4K
    Post edited by mschack on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

a picture is worth a thousand words.  yes

• mschackmschack Posts: 337

Indeed haha wink

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

mschack said:

visually...

very good - but just remember, a curve is merely a bunch of straight lines joined together 

:0

this guy might have  bad problem walking but he is all morphs 

(103) USING MORPH TARGETS for Anim8or walkcycle - YouTube

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,499

thanks guys,

i should have used the hotpoinf method, buf it won't open the hinges

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

MAJourney said:

thanks guys,

i should have used the hotpoinf method, buf it won't open the hinges

If you parent the window/door to the hinge, then put the hotpoint on the hinge, when rotating the hinge it should also rotate the window/door I think.  Of course if you have more than one hinge (and most windows/doors do) then you'd only be rotating one hinge top open/close and the other hinges wouldn't move.  But that could be solved with Fenric's ERC plugin I believe.  I haven't done this myself, so I'm just throwing out ideas and could easily be wrong.  :) 

Yeah, there's 6 hinges. 2 parts a hinge; so 12 hinge parts.

6 screw to the window, 3 on each

6 screw to the wall or outer frame, 3 on 2 si9es

maybe bones? but i don't know how to bone...

Let's see... I don't think the screws matter, just parent them to the door/window, wherever the door goes the screw goes.  Actually I think you could do that with the hinges too.  Make 1 hinge the 'master' hinge, make all the other moving hinges (which would only be the halves that are attached to the door/window) be parented to the master hinge.  The other half of the hinges are parented to the wall.. well actually I guess you don't need them to parent to anything, as they are never going to visually move because they're screwed into the wall.  Make your master hinge the rotation point, that way when you rotate it all the other hinges and the door window are locked to move with it.  I really think that would solve it, no bones needed.  You might want to add constraints to the other rotation axis, so that you can only rotate one way, open/shut.

Somebody smarter than me will come around and correct me if I'm bumbling this...  :)

sorry, I meant the verb "screws" lol

i have an idea........

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    edited September 2021

I usually model the door frame with one half of the hinges and then model the door with the other half of the hinges then parent the door to the frame .. the other way I use is parenting the hinges one half to the doorway frame and the other half to the door. smiley

Post edited by Stezza on

Stezza said:

I usually model the door frame with one half of the hinges and then model the door with the other half of the hinges then parent the door to the frame .. the other way I use is parenting the hinges one half to the doorway frame and the other half to the door. smiley

that's what i just did lol

2b.jpg
    2319 x 1268 - 270K

It worked! Congrats, looking good :)