Carrara is buggy when Animating . Best way to adjust my Graphics card for Carrara

mmoirmmoir Posts: 821
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hey guys,
I mostly model and create still images with Carrara and don't run into to many problems with Carrara crashing butI am doing alot more animating and am having issues which I hope some of you can help out with.
My computer is an AMD FX8350 with an HD radeon 7570 video card and I just recently updated it. On a side note after the update when I look at my video card in the device manager it says "7500" series not 7570 which is weird., Is this normal?

So ,now when I am animating I get alot of "display adapter has stopped working" type messages and Carrara freezes up . I cannot save the file at all , the only option is to close the application via the task manager. I get this type of error unexpectedly when doing random things but alot of times it is when scrubbing the animation.

My question is , what settings do I change in my graphics card settings that will most likely help out in this situation. I tried a couple of things which didn't really work so I was hoping if some animators here know how to best fix this issue.

Thanks

Comments

• mmoirmmoir Posts: 821
    edited January 2015

Okay , was working some more and had a different type crash.

I was adjusting the Lens Flare on a light over the length of the animation scrubbing to different times on the timeline. When I was done this I do an area render and then get an error message "carrara has stopped working ". I don't have a chance to save the file at all, very frustrating>:-(

This is approaching the unuseable state for carrara being used for animation.

I just tried switching to "Software" in the Interactive render settings and that made this lens flare issue even worse.

Post edited by mmoir on
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

Hi Mike,
    7500 series, that goes from 7500 to 7599 (if that exists).
    I often have problems when I ask too many calculations in the same sequence.
    Just at the moment, I have a crash with the 85th image because there is an accumulation of generators of particles, soft bodies, surface réplicators, fog and a depth of field.
    I try to pass to the 86th image and I will see well if that works, if not, it will be necessary to make multi-pass and to go in AE…%-P

edited December 1969

I also often have crashes when I launch a simulation of particles and that I decide to stop it (esc).
    I have already make the experiment to let it “reflect" a whole day, without success, which makes me say that it is partly Carrara responsible but also surely my hardware material…

edited December 1969

Wow, the most I would let it "reflect" would be15 or 20 minutes.

I also often have crashes when I launch a simulation of particles and that I decide to stop it (esc).
    I have already make the experiment to let it “reflect" a whole day, without success, which makes me say that it is partly Carrara responsible but also surely my hardware material…
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,039
    edited December 1969

Particles I rarely allow to generate in preview at all as they tend to freeze up stuff
    I just do test renders in the render room along time line instead

edited December 1969

The problem is that even if we check "no calculation in the 3D view", it calculates when we make a quick render.

• stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited January 2015

mmoir said:
    Okay , was working some more and had a different type crash.

I was adjusting the Lens Flare on a light over the length of the animation scrubbing to different times on the timeline. When I was done this I do an area render and then get an error message "carrara has stopped working ". I don't have a chance to save the file at all, very frustrating>:-(

This is approaching the unuseable state for carrara being used for animation.

I just tried switching to "Software" in the Interactive render settings and that made this lens flare issue even worse.

How much RAM do you have on your PC? I have found that I crash when I am working with too many RAM hungry apps running far more than I do when Carrara is the only thing using RAM. In fact it hardly ever crashes when it's the only app running.

Post edited by stringtheory9 on
    edited December 1969

Stringtheory9, I have 10gb of ram and I usually only have one app(carrara) running at a time that I know of . I guess I could check to see what could be open all the time without knowing it.

Wendy, I do enable the " don't generate particles in 3d view" and this helps out.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

The problem is that even if we check "no calculation in the 3D view", it calculates when we make a quick render.

This is true, but if you want to test something besides the particles, you could temporarily reduce the number of particles or if they collide or spawn new particles, deactivate those functions for the test, and then turn them on again for the actual render.

If you're testing the emitter, then you are kind of screwed, although if you're testing velocity, particle size or the dispersion angle or something like that, fewer particles could give you an idea of how those things will work before using the full number of particles.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

I was recently watching one of Mark Bremmer's video tutorial free samples and, in the midst of his discussion, he said that the glitches in the animation was due to OpenGL, so he switched to "Software" instead of OpenGL in the interactive render settings (I think it was there, or was it preferences?) and continued on his topic - and it worked beautifully. Might be worth a look - I know I will be. With my eight cores, I'm sure that I can spare some horsepower, when I'm not rendering, to run the software renderer ;)

edited December 1969

Dart,
    I didi try switching to Software from opengl and it didn't have any effect actually I think it was worse.

I was recently watching one of Mark Bremmer's video tutorial free samples and, in the midst of his discussion, he said that the glitches in the animation was due to OpenGL, so he switched to "Software" instead of OpenGL in the interactive render settings (I think it was there, or was it preferences?) and continued on his topic - and it worked beautifully. Might be worth a look - I know I will be. With my eight cores, I'm sure that I can spare some horsepower, when I'm not rendering, to run the software renderer ;)