Is Carrara 8.5 Only 32 Bit?

skydatskydat Posts: 25
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi,

I'm looking to buy Carrara 8.5 as part of 2013 deal, I don't need all the stuff in the Pro version. However, I read on older forum posts that 8.5 is only 32 bits?

If its 32 bit then its a no buy for me. Can someone who has current knowledge let me know - even searching for a long time it's hard to find information as posts from 2012-2014 can contain outdated and flat out wrong information. Cheers.

Comments

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Yeah, 64 bit is only for the pro version.

Weirdly, for me the current 2013 picks sale is showing the pro version as $65 and the standard version as $104, so almost $40 cheaper to get the pro version...

• GarrettDRGarrettDR Posts: 229
    edited January 2015

I will read the post better next time before I stick my foot in my mouth!

Post edited by GarrettDR on
  • WheatpennyWheatpenny Posts: 31
    edited December 1969

Yes, Carrara Pro is actually cheaper than Carrara regular, for PC members. That's part of the reason I decided to upgrade. And if you're not a PC member, if you put a 3-month PC membership and Carrara Pro in your cart - as I did -your total will be $89 (still cheaper than Carrara regular).

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Since it sounds like the Pro version is cheaper anyway, this may be moot, but I would ask what Pro features do you think you don't need and are you sure you won't need them in the future?

These are some Pro only features I use very frequently or in some cases all the time:
    Network Render Nodes
    Ocean Primitive
    Render Passes
    3D Paint
    Modeling in the Assembly Room (I think that is a Pro feature)

There are also more file import and export options, more vertex modeler tools, and some other stuff that was added in C8 or C8.5, which eludes me at the moment.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

The Extract Along/Extract Around etc tools in the vertex modeller are Pro only, and I use those a lot. Not sure if Assembly Room modelling is Pro only, but I use that all the time - it's so handy being able to tweak something while it's still in context. And of course, 64 bit - for that alone, it's worth it.