330ml Brown Glass Bottle and Broken Bits

richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,039
edited September 2021 in Freebies

I was wanting to do a scene of a figure in a bottling plant, and needed some accessories. Turns out I couldn't find the shape of bottle I wanted as a freebie, so modelled my own after finding interface control drawings on the web for a range of sizes. The size I plumped for was the 330ml (same volume as a can of cola). These are often used for beer or similar <7.5% alcohol beverages. Because it was a bottling plant, and bottles break, I modelled one broken bottle. Thought other people may find them useful too.

Anyway, the bottle was modelled in SolidWorks, saved as STL, converted to OBJ with my own program, texture mapped without label (didn't need one for my purpose) in UVMapper using a capped cylinder map, and then turned into a prop in DS. The glass shader is based on the default green glass DS iRay shader supplied with DS. The colour is changed to an orangy brown, which looks about right.

There are one or two quirks. The bottles are totally invisible in Filament preview mode, and they are not easy to see in any other preview mode apart from iRay preview. You have been warned! It may be an idea to turn the transparency off prior to working them in the scene, up to you.

Regards,

Richard.

[Title edited to reflect extra bits]

Glass Bottle Ad.png
800 x 800 - 427K
zip
zip
Glass Bottle.zip
Post edited by richardandtracy on

Comments

• Thank you :-)

• I have realised that four more different bits of broken bottle can be obtained from the model I have with ease. Would they be of any use? The additional ones are:

1. Neck broken off, intact body.
    2. Neck only.
    3. Intact neck and body, with bottom broken off .
    4. Bottom only.

Also different breaks are actually very easy to model with an extruded cut straight through.  Let me know if any options would be useful.

Regards,

Richard.

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,107

Thank you.

Yes,I believe the various breaks would be nice to have so there would be less uniformity in the breaks should one need to have several of them in a scene.

Such as a pallet of empty bottles had fallen over whilst trying to move them and several hit the floor and broke.

• OK, I'll see what I can do. Might be a day or two, will have to see how things go.

Regards,

Richard.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,039
    edited September 2021

Right, just a few modelled.

Can't texture map or convert to DS until this evening. May be able to package them up within 24 hrs, who knows. I'll think about other break points too.

Regards,

Richard

Broken Bottles.jpg
    892 x 782 - 85K

Thank you, looking very good.

• Looking good yes.

edited September 2021

OK, I have done a few broken bits - well, sixteen - and added green, brown and flint (clear) shaders. To get around the invisibility problem with moving the glass in non-iRay preview modes, I have added an opaque white shader that can be applied too.

Hope it will be useful.

Regards,

Richard.

ETA: Download file corrected to include Broken Bottle 10 data file which had been missed out.

330ml Broken Bottles Ad.jpg
    800 x 800 - 76K
    zip
    zip
    330ml Broken Bottles.zip
    5M
    edited September 2021

Oops, pressed the wrong 'Save comment' button.

Thank you :)

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,058

Thank you! Glass bottles are always useful, and the broken bottle fragments are a great addition to my collection of debris and trash!

• Ha ha ha. My heap of 'Might be useful material, one day' in the workshop comes under the heading of 'Debris and Trash' for other people.. ;) . So glad this fulfils the same use for you.
  • Thank you! Great idea and product.

• And the price is right...!

Regards,

Richard

• User riuken on Renderosity discovered that on broken bottle 10, I had managed to get in a muddle and didn't include the data file for it. So, I have updated the zip file above. I do apologize.
  • Wow!  Thank you for these.

• Hope you find them useful. Have to confess I am amazed at how many people have downloaded these both here and on Renderosity.
  • MartialMartial Posts: 404

Thanks for these

Here is a picture using them

dans l alléev2pluieon1600.jpg
    600 x 480 - 138K
  • That's brilliant. It's always a pleasure to see any of my freebies being used, makes the effort worth it. I have been so surprised at how popular these bits of bottles have been. Models of broken bottles... whatever next? Just grinning from ear to ear.