Problem fitting hair/clothing onto Genesis 2 actor

SteveG52SteveG52 Posts: 11
edited January 2015 in Carrara Discussion

I've been using Daz Studio for about 3 years and recently decided to try Carrara because of the great platinum club discount. I'm encountering odd behaviors in the paid program that simply work right in the free Daz studio. For example, when I load Genesis 2 female into a Carrara 8.5 pro scene and then drag hair and clothing onto her name in the instances tab, the hair and clothing fit as they should.

However, if I load a Genesis 2 actor into the scene, the hair and wardrobe don't fit at all. So I thought I would try a workaround by going to Daz studio and fitting the items to the new Keiko actor, which works perfectly there, and then save it as a scene. I went back to Carrara and opened the scene and as you can see below Carrara made a mess of it. It doesn't seem to handle actors well.

One other thing. When I load Genesis 2 and the wardrobe successfully as I described in the first paragraph and then select a pose, only the figure moves but not the clothing. Any advice is appreciated on what I'm not doing right. Thanks.

Keiko_daz.jpg
569 x 759 - 65K
Post edited by SteveG52 on

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

A couple of different work flows are possible. The majority (at least of those who have spoken up) prefer to assemble the character, clothes, hair, etc. in Studio and save as a scene preset. They then open the scene duf in Carrara and may have to reconform the clothes and hair. Some others, including me, prefer to load each item individually from Carrara's browser (no Studio and no fit to if possible), then select them all simultaneously and create a group. The figure and the clothes are siblings in the same group, so to speak. Then I sequentially select the hair, cloth item, etc. and use Fit To one by one.

I get good results for most clothing items, but some just need adjustment in Carrara. Some people use a product that fixes poke through. Hopefully a person will explain how they use it. If I get poke through I usually just ignore the protected topology and use the vertex modeler to pull the cloth free. Not 100% though.

There is more in this thread on several related topics.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/45361/

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited January 2015

Here is an example. I loaded the genesis 2 female character Aiko 6 directly from Carrara's content browser from the My DAZ3D Library from the people folder then genesis 2 female character subfolders. I then loaded a cheerleader outfit directly from the clothing subfolder of genesis 2 female. I did not fit it to Aiko 6 yet. I just loaded it side by side. I then loaded hair the same way. I then selected the Aiko 6, clothing, and hair simultaneously and used EDIT : Group from the top menu. After they were in the same group, I selected the appropriate level of the clothing item and then used the "fit to" function in the properties tray on the right side. I repeated for the hair. If this was a character that I would continue to use, I would save the group to the Carrara object browser, and load from the Carrara object browser in the future. Note, it takes a long time to save if compression is on.

cheerleader_2.jpg
    1029 x 967 - 193K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • SteveG52SteveG52 Posts: 11
    edited December 1969

diomede64,

Thanks so much for the info. Your redlines help so much! I'll pursue this tomorrow since it is late now. Thanks again!!!

• mikael-aronssonmikael-aronsson Posts: 549
    edited December 1969

Make sure that "Fit to" is set to the character for both hair and cloth, this often get wrong at import and when you add stuff.

edited December 1969

Great! Your suggestions worked for me after some trial and error. The pose problem i was having was also solved. I will now go to that discussion thread you gave me.

edited December 1969

By the way I once again opened that scene preset and noticed the clothes and hair were within the Gen2F hierarchy in the instances list. When I dragged each piece of clothing and hair up to the scene bar above the Gen2F name, it put them at the same level as Gen2F. That made everything fit properly. Each item I clicked on showed it was already auto fitted to Gen2F which I guess was initially set by studio. I learned a lot here.