No Infringement Intended

Saw this youtube vid on the topic of infringement (again).  Couldn't remember if I had posted it before.  As a person who has multiple animations blocked by Youtube for inexplicable reasons, I found it interesting.  You might as well.  By inexplicable reasons, for example, I was officially told that an animation of a cloudy crystal ball transitioning to a landscape, with no sound and no captions/words, not checking the box for public, somehow violated standards for solicitation and spam.  Did I mention that there were no words and it was not made public?  So, this vid is not offered as legal advice, which the discussant also emphasizes - NOT LEGAL ADVICE - but I think some folks in our Carrara community will find the topic and discussion interesting.

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,036
    edited September 2021

I think the algorithm compares videos and if it thinks you are uploading the same one multiple times it considers it spam.

the fact it just shows the Carrara interface and had no sound probably counted against you as it thought it was the same thing each time.

A lot of text to speech narrations suffer that fate too even if it's reading original content.

A human never viewed your video.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I would tend to agree.  I've got 60+ videos on YouTube and have never been challenged for copyright problems.  A little surprising since I use a lot of royalty free music and sounds from Digital Juice, including, e.g., well performed classical music that some orchestra might think they own.  I do, however, occasionally run afoul of news websites' "Community Guidelines" when I post opinions on political topics.  This happens immediately, so no human involved.  When I challenge it, I can never get a straight answer as to exactly how I violated the guidelines, and I see really nasty insults from others that go right through.  A couple of times I've tried taking out single words and having my comment get posted.  Once it was the word "rubber", so their algorithm must have a dirty mind.  blush

An example of the classical music I'm talking about, starts ~:55:

• Steve K said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I would tend to agree.  I've got 60+ videos on YouTube and have never been challenged for copyright problems.  A little surprising since I use a lot of royalty free music and sounds from Digital Juice, including, e.g., well performed classical music that some orchestra might think they own.  I do, however, occasionally run afoul of news websites' "Community Guidelines" when I post opinions on political topics.  This happens immediately, so no human involved.  When I challenge it, I can never get a straight answer as to exactly how I violated the guidelines, and I see really nasty insults from others that go right through.  A couple of times I've tried taking out single words and having my comment get posted.  Once it was the word "rubber", so their algorithm must have a dirty mind.  blush

An example of the classical music I'm talking about, starts ~:55:

Was the recording you used mechnaical or out of copyright? If nott hat might be an infringement even if the score itself is public domain.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

Richard Haseltine said:

Was the recording you used mechnaical or out of copyright? If nott hat might be an infringement even if the score itself is public domain.

It was purchased from Digital Juice, a supplier of royalty free music among other products.  The EULA reads in part: 

"The Music may be used, altered, or incorporated according to the guidelines described herein into any production
    (including but not limited to, broadcast, commercial, industrial, educational, and personal) that is created by YOU
    provided that production is not then sold or distributed as, or as a part of, a music collection or library."

I don't know how they got the rights, but I have to think they know their business, been at it a long time.