Recommended actor training for animators

DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Having realised that as an animator (especially as a one man studio set up interested in mocap), you have to double as an actor, meaning that being a better actor helps make you a better animator, I happily subscribed to this course when it came to my attention.

Now almost done with 26% of the course, I think it could come in handy, not just for learning the Meyerhold's Biomechanics system of physical theatre, but as a very good introduction to training as an actor from which other 'styles' such as naturalism, Japanese Noh and Kabuki, and others can be explored. So far, I like the idea of Biomechanics in acting though, it removes the need for pursuing naturalism which can really become a burden for a lone animator trying to tell a story, and the sylized almost stop motion type of movement seems almost made for animation, you can virtually see the real life actors in sample videos shift from pose to pose and key frame to key frame. It's reminiscent of a theatre production I once saw by a company called 1927 who have developed a style that involves live acting against a projected animated backdrop. The fact that they had to move in silent film style and almost in two dimensions to keep their shadows synced with the animation struck me then because it looked like the actors had dropped realism for acting like animated characters which in itself is adaptable learning for an animator in a recursive sense.

Learning is free on the future learn platform and you can order a certificate afterwards if you want one. Personally, I'm hoping I can build an approach and style I can be comfortable with (and enjoy) for my animation once I'm done with the course!

Comments

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

Wow, good stuff. I'm very impressed you've stepped outside the Carrara world and into the real world to learn important stuff and become better at your craft.

I'm totally clueless about acting, but maybe our resident professional actor Rashad can comment. Sounds like he has a lot of acting background and can probably give some very intelligent feedback.

• DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

Wow, good stuff. I'm very impressed you've stepped outside the Carrara world and into the real world to learn important stuff and become better at your craft.

I'm totally clueless about acting, but maybe our resident professional actor Rashad can comment. Sounds like he has a lot of acting background and can probably give some very intelligent feedback.

:coolsmile: