How do you assign an icon to product in smart content view?

Daniel BarnettDaniel Barnett Posts: 389
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

A lot of icons are missing when I view products in the smart content view (it has the orange outline with ! in it)
How do you assign an icon to product in smart content view?
Thanks
dbb

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,034
    edited December 1969

Your problem isn't a missing icon but a bad path, I think - those are "orphaned" file references. You may need to run Content DB Maintenance (Content Library option menu) and tell it to remove orphans, then reimport your metadata.

• Daniel BarnettDaniel Barnett Posts: 389
    edited December 1969

Your problem isn't a missing icon but a bad path, I think - those are "orphaned" file references. You may need to run Content DB Maintenance (Content Library option menu) and tell it to remove orphans, then reimport your metadata.
    Sorry for the late response - my back went out on me. I'll give that a try!!!
    dbb
    edited December 1969

I tried it but I'm still getting the error on the icons.

edited December 1969

An example is the DAZ Charger horse. Something strange since I bought it in 2007 it doesn't show up as purchased on the product page but it is in my Product Library. I guess older items don't have metadata either.
    dbb

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The Charger Horse does have metadata, if you install the DS version.

edited December 1969

I found images in png rsr formats for Charger but it isn't appearing in smart content view!?!?
    dbb

edited December 1969

dbbdaniel said:
    I found images in png rsr formats for Charger but it isn't appearing in smart content view!?!?
    dbb

There should be 3 files in Runtime:Support for the Charger

DAZ_3D_306_Charger_Horse.dsa
    DAZ_3D_306_Charger_Horse.dsx
    DAZ_3D_306_Charger_Horse.png

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,985
    edited December 1969

This should resolve your issue: Adding Missing Product Icons in Smart Content Tab

edited December 1969

Lindsey said:

Thank you! I'll give it a try and post the results!!!!
    dbb
    edited December 1969

dbbdaniel said:
    Lindsey said:

dbbI tried the instructions but it didn't work. I also tried to uninstall and reinstall the file but no matter what I do the Icon just won't show in the Smart Content \ all area. I don't think I'll bother looking at any other area under "Smart Content"
    Thanks to all that tried to help!!!
    dbb
  • Steven-VSteven-V Posts: 727
    edited December 1969

The instructions confuse me:

Lindsey said:
    It was mentioned in an earlier thread about this issue one solution is to add the three product support files to the product's .dsx file in Runtime>Support if they are not listed. Assuming all three files exist, .jpg, dsa and dsx in Runtime>Support, try this:

The Process:

1. Locate and select the product's folder in the Content Library>Products folders.
    2. Launch the Content DB Editor in the Active Pane Options menu (the little page icon with arrow pointing right on the upper right
    3. Put your mouse in the Files box and Right Click>Add Support Files.
    4. Locate all three files (Enter the Token (Product ID) in the search box, upper right) and shift-select all three files, dsa, dsx and jpg*, Click Open. The three files should be listed in the Files: box.
    5. Click Accept to close the Content DB Editor. If you get a message the files exist, click the Yes to overwrite the files.
    6. Click OK on the Export Complete screen.

To test:

Click on the Smart Content>Products>All to refresh the screen and hopefully the Product Icon now displays.

edit: *The icon may be in .png format

What is the "files" box and where is it located? I do not see one. I see a files/categories box but it does not give me the option to "add support files". So clearly I am doing something wrong.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I have marked the relevant areas in the image below, hope that helps?

Untitled-1.jpg
    966 x 636 - 287K
    edited December 1969

That is not what I see when I invoke the Content DB Editor. Mine's totally different.

Not sure what is going on here.

ContentDBEditor.jpg
    700 x 789 - 243K
    edited December 1969

Argh, never mind. I was clicking on the folder in the Library tree not the Products tree. Duh.

edited December 1969

dbbdaniel said:
    dbbdaniel said:
    Lindsey said:

dbb
    I tried the instructions but it didn't work. I also tried to uninstall and reinstall the file but no matter what I do the Icon just won't show in the Smart Content \ all area. I don't think I'll bother looking at any other area under "Smart Content"
    Thanks to all that tried to help!!!
    dbb
    This is what appears in the editor-It seems to list 1 item 306 and 3 items 308 but not the 3 items needed for 306!
    ChargerHorse.png
    1257 x 819 - 181K
    edited February 2015

I suggest you start from scratch.

1. Uninstall Charger Horse DS, preferably with DIM

2. Install Charger Horse DS

3. Go to and select Charger Horse DS in the Products Listing

4. Launch Content DB Editor in the Pane Options. It should look like the #1 with lots of files listed in the files window

5. Place the cursor in the Files box, Right click, and select Add Support Files

6. Point the files window to Runtime>Support located within your DS Content folder

7. My list comes up in Alphabetical order, change yours if it doesn't and then scroll down to DAZ_3D_306. Highlight the three files as shown in #2 and click the Open button. As an alternative, you can enter 306 in the search box on the upper right.

8. Check the Files box and you should see the three files as shown in #3. Click the Accept button

9. Go to Smart Content>Products and refresh and you should see the Charger Horse product Icon as shown in #4.

ScreenShot001a.jpg
    1919 x 1036 - 257K
    ScreenShot003.jpg
    679 x 949 - 131K
    ScreenShot002.jpg
    695 x 994 - 120K
    Post edited by Lindsey on
    edited December 1969

If you look at your screen shot on the previous page, the listing for 306 says "Charger Horse Ps" -- that's the Poser version. If you uninstall the Poser version and install the DS version it will have metadata.

edited December 1969

If you look at your screen shot on the previous page, the listing for 306 says "Charger Horse Ps" -- that's the Poser version. If you uninstall the Poser version and install the DS version it will have metadata.
    Thanks - I guess that once I get this right I'll be able to fix the other missing icons!!
    Thanks again!
    dbb
    edited February 2015

Hope you'll be able to sort the steps out. Keep it up and next thing you'll know how to create your own metadata for older products that don't have any :-)

Post edited by Lindsey on
    edited December 1969

dbbdaniel said:
    Thanks - I guess that once I get this right I'll be able to fix the other missing icons!!
    Thanks again!
    dbbWe must be in different time zones - do you know of any tutorials on metadata?
    Thanks again!
    dbb
    edited December 1969

dbbdaniel said:
    dbbdaniel said:
    Thanks again!
    dbb
    We must be in different time zones - do you know of any tutorials on metadata?
    Thanks again!
    dbb

Here's a couple to get you started:

From HeraldOfFire: Metadata tutorial - Adding new items to your smart content

A Video from Slosh: Adding MetaData in DAZ Studio

edited December 1969

OK this is driving me nuts now.

I have several items that just have always insisted on giving me yellow ! errors in Smart Content. Back when this thread was active, I tried the steps here and they did not work every time, but I hit on something that did. I feel like it had to do with renaming files or that there were missing files or something, and I manually fixed it.

But I have switched computers and damn if I can remember how I did it. ARGH!!

It's always the same ones. XS Wear, for instance. The .jpg, .dsa, and .dsx files are there. I add them as support files. I refresh smart content and... nothing. Still a yellow !. No picture. This is SO annoying. Even more so because I figured out how to fix it on the old machine but i can't remember how!

edited December 1969

Have you tried Exporting User Data, Resetting the Database, and then Re-Importing Metadata?

edited December 1969

I've tried doing that and various things like that. Nothing works. This is a fresh install of everything so there should have been no database corruption.

And it is always on the same things. Destroyed City. XS Wear. The DH Breakfast Nook Rug. I specifically remembering that the techniques here did not work for those on my old computer, and I did something very simple -- as simple as copying and renaming a file, and it all worked. I had one of those "aha!" moments and suddenly I was able to fix my smart content for the first time in like a year.

And now I can't remember what it was. It's driving me batty.