Carrara Still Rocks

I just finished another 48 Hour Film contest, a long weekend.  We drew the genres "Period Piece" (or "Romance"), which drew sympathy from the other (mostly live action) teams, who prefer genres like "Comedy", to avoid costumes, elaborate sets, etc.    Ha!  They should see my collection of Carrara compatible stuff (mostly Poser format).

But once again, Carrara performed almost flawlessly.  I was keeping a LOT of scenes open to allow going back to adjust to later changes.  At one point, one of the scenes just disappeared, I could not switch to it.  Not a major problem, I had of course been backing up everything including using Casper to back up the whole drive.  A Carrara restart got everything copacetic. I'll get a trailer up shortly.

Carrara is very reliable and very fast on a 12 core/24 thread AMD CPU.

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Very exciting.  Can't wait to see your latest.  

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

gets popcorn with double butter ready for the microwave yes

• mschackmschack Posts: 337

Nice SteveK, can't wait!

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

Thanks, folks.  I should especially mention (again) that Carrara's NLA clips are a godsend for animation.  I have built up a pretty good collection using both Poser mocaps and the Animate Carrara aniblock importer, saved to clips.  If I had to do all keyframe animation, it would take me a year or two for the two day contest.  frown

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

Steve K said:

I just finished another 48 Hour Film contest, a long weekend.  We drew the genres "Period Piece" (or "Romance"), which drew sympathy from the other (mostly live action) teams, who prefer genres like "Comedy", to avoid costumes, elaborate sets, etc.    Ha!  They should see my collection of Carrara compatible stuff (mostly Poser format).

But once again, Carrara performed almost flawlessly.  I was keeping a LOT of scenes open to allow going back to adjust to later changes.  At one point, one of the scenes just disappeared, I could not switch to it.  Not a major problem, I had of course been backing up everything including using Casper to back up the whole drive.  A Carrara restart got everything copacetic. I'll get a trailer up shortly.

Carrara is very reliable and very fast on a 12 core/24 thread AMD CPU.

Aw Man!!!

I've aways been a stickler on making backups, and then backing up my backups. 

Now that I built my new rig (years ago aleady) I accidentally dropped that wonderful habit - and now I lost EVERYTHING except for my animated render I've been doing.

I had to DIM everything!!! But, alas... all of my Carrara saves are gone, along with a whole lot of content that various artists gifted to me over the years. :(

Still looking for a magical hard drive or DVD to be foung that can get at least some of it back. No luck yet, except for some cool videos I had backed up that I haven't seen in years!!!  One example being an animation that I rendered long ago (brand new to Carrara then) of digital me blowing a kiss at the camera, which I put on a music mix DVD I made for Rosie. Kinda crazy how much it looks like me! :)

Love yout teaser!!! Love your Carrara glory!!!

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

Dartanbeck said:

Aw Man!!!

I've aways been a stickler on making backups, and then backing up my backups. 

Now that I built my new rig (years ago aleady) I accidentally dropped that wonderful habit - and now I lost EVERYTHING except for my animated render I've been doing.

I shouldn't be saying this, tempting fate, but ... up until recently I had been backing up all purchased 3D and other elemtns to DVD's, a lot of work.  But with three external hard drives with all that, plus a second internal drive to back up the working drive with Casper, plus most of the products still on the vendor websites, I stopped that.  I haven't been buying as much recently as in previous years, so the majority of my stuff is on DVD's.  A LOT of DVD's, I shudder to think about putting all that back on a drive.  surprise

Love yout teaser!!! Love your Carrara glory!!!

Many thanks.