Loading a figure where you want in a large scene. Possible in Daz?

edited February 2015 in New Users

Ok, I have this great Sandy Bay Village loaded and now I want to load a figure into the scene. Only every single figure loads in an arbitrary center of the grid which is nowhere near in the town I want it to be. And depending on the distance, it could take quite a long time to move the character to where I want. My question, in Daz, is there a way to specify where you want a figure to load in the scene? Thanks.

Vince

Post edited by Man Behind the Curtain on

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Hold down the Alt key while dragging the icon -- a target will appear showing where the item will appear.

• edited December 1969

Thank, thank you, thank you!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,954
    edited December 1969

Oh WOW I learn something new every day!
    was always unimpressed unlike Carrara and iClone DAZ did not let you drag drop stuff where you wanted but now I learn it is just a keyboard shortcut I was unaware of, there should be a list in help!!!

• Steven-VSteven-V Posts: 727
    edited December 1969

Well... it's helpful sometimes but it is not a perfect solution. For example, in my experience, the DAZ engine cannot interpret height. So if you are 1,000 feet up on the top of a skyscraper and you alt-drag, your character will end up on the bottom floor... or wherever 0 Y is.

Also, for some reason, in certain situations alt-drag just does not work, and the item comes in at 0,0,0 anyway. This happens to me in the Urban Sprawl 2 set, for example, and I have no idea why.

So again... it helps, and it can make your life a little easier, but it is not a panacea.

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

Hold down the Alt key while dragging the icon -- a target will appear showing where the item will appear.

Oh my word, all this time using DS and I never knew that! Thanks Mike, that's brilliant!
  • edited December 1969

Mike, many thanks for the answer to this question. Now I have another hopefully you or someone else can answer. Using your tip, I load my character into the scene. Great, wow! I apply a pose and guess what? The figure pops back to the position in the center of the grid I was trying not to load to. Is there any way to keep this from happening? Thank everyone.

Vince

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,954
    edited December 1969

ooooh oooh mr Cotter Mr Cotter I know that one
    hold ctrl loading the pose

• edited December 1969

Great, thanks Wendy!

• stefan.humsstefan.hums Posts: 132
    edited December 1969

Also my thank for these tips, very useful.

• OMG - I love you both. I lose so much time, turning everything off so I can find my new item! And the pose thing! Holy cow. You two are my new heroes.

• Steven-V said:

Well... it's helpful sometimes but it is not a perfect solution. For example, in my experience, the DAZ engine cannot interpret height. So if you are 1,000 feet up on the top of a skyscraper and you alt-drag, your character will end up on the bottom floor... or wherever Y is.

You mean in Studio there's no way to select a character and move it along its Y axis?  Heck, I could do that in TrueSpace, and that was, like, twenty years ago.

Steven-V said:

Also, for some reason, in certain situations alt-drag just does not work, and the item comes in at 0,0,0 anyway. This happens to me in the Urban Sprawl 2 set, for example, and I have no idea why.

As I've also recently purchased Urban Sprawl 2, I'd like to know more about this as well.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited September 2015

You mean in Studio there's no way to select a character and move it along its Y axis?  Heck, I could do that in TrueSpace, and that was, like, twenty years ago.

Of course you can do that.  Select the figure, go to the Parameters pane, and use the Translate Y slider, or simply pull up on the green arrow in the Viewport in the translate gizmo. 

You can also type in the numbers in the Parameters pane as well for the translations.

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
  • Whew!  That's a relief. 

Returning to the OP's question, to place the character where you want, instead of dragging him to a new spot, can you simply select him, go to the parameters pane, then use the translate x and z sliders to move him?

(Personally, I would rather just type the new coordinates into the parameter's pane, like I used to do in ye olde True Space days.)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Yes,  you can use the translation sliders OR type in the coordinates...

• Wow! All this time. I almost started a thread about the posing in position thing. Thanks!

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,844
    edited September 2015
    nelm2010 said:

OMG - I love you both. I lose so much time, turning everything off so I can find my new item! And the pose thing! Holy cow. You two are my new heroes.

You can find things as well by selecting it in the scenes Tab, go to perspective view and then click on the focus sign (Frame Aim) in the list of symbols in the upper right corner of your view panel.

Make sure you are not in your camera or light positioning view as this will shift the camera to your selected object.

Post edited by Linwelly on