Carrara 8.5 Clothing Issue

richard-rrichard-r Posts: 12
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I have my Genesis 2 figure loaded, however when I try to load any clothing I get a Error "Carrara was unable to import (item name) to cr2"
It does that on any clothing item... I was able to add hair but no Clothing. What is wrong?

Comments

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Hi Richard, Genesis2 is supposedly not officially supported by Carrara. It works, but can be 'finicky'. I prefer to use V4/M4 myself, and occasionally Genesis, but I have loaded and clothed and morphed Genesis2 to see and can attest it will work, but sometimes has weirdness, or is finicky about how to load stuff up.

I'm hoping someone like Dustrider, who uses Genesis2 all the time, will pop in and give some better instructions, and I can't load up Genesis2 at the moment as I'm in the middle of rendering an animation, but it may help if you give a few more details. What type of clothing was it, like was it Genesis2 clothing or for some other figure, and how did you load it/apply it? Double click or drag and drop on the character in the scene, or into the character in the instances tab? Did you drag and drop on the 'actor' or the top level of the Genesis2, or onto the hip? Giving the specific outfit name may also help.

It be a while before I can load up a Gen2 to test and see if I can replicate what you're running into, but again lots of folks around here use Genesis2 all the time and someone will likely pop in to answer better than me. There's also a thread floating around somewhere in here (that I wish was stickied at the top) about best practices with Genesis2 and clothing.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited February 2015

Hi Richard.

We may have to have a back and forth a little bit to diagnose your problem. In general, the folders from which you should be loading genesis and genesis 2 content to Carrara should be trying to access .duf and .dsf files, not .cr2 files. There is a discussion of some of the issues here.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/45361/#677095

That post is part of the larger "best practices for genesis and genesis 2" thread that Jonstak mentioned.

So, first step in diagnosis will just be trying to confirm that you have genesis and genesis 2 starter essentials configured for your Carrara. For genesis and Genesis 2, you should be loading dsf and duf files in general (not that you would know from the directories), not cr2. So something appears to be quirky about either your installation or where you are loading files from.

- did you do the default installation? If so, in your Carrara browser, do you have folders labeled "My Daz3D Library" and "My Daz3D Library Runtime", with the key difference being the word Runtime. You don't want to load genesis and genesis 2 content from the "runtime" directory, in general (there are exceptions, but lets just confirm you have the basics). If you did a custom insallation, then the folder will not be called "My Daz3D Library," it will be called whatever the name of the location that you did the custom installation. Mine is called "Stuff for Daz"

- so, from the My Daz3D Library folder (or whatever your custom installation name) in your Carrara browser, look for a subfolder called "people." Within that, look for subfolders called genesis, genesis 2 female, and genesis 2 male. Each of those subfolders should have an untextured base figure that will load directly in Carrara if you click and drag to the scene.

- open the subfolder called genesis 2 male. Look for a lower subfolder called "characters". See if you have the Michael 6 character (I think it ships with Carrara). Click and drag Michael 6 into your scene. It should load with some textures.

- there should be another subfolder called "clothing" See if you can find some clothing there.

See if any of that helps, and then we can try again.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716
    edited December 1969

Unfortunately I haven't had the CR2 error, so I'm probably not going to be very helpful. I think Diomede is on the right track though, as I recall some other posts where there was a similar error and that came from trying to load the item from the "runtime" folder rather than the content folder.

In the "for what it's worth" category, I've had great luck using G2F, and most things seem to work quite well.