Oh really? - Fun little blip

I had fun making this, and honestly this is me. Everytime a customer tells me that they work for the government or that they know exactly how banks work since they've worked for banks for the past 30 years, this is my face on the other line,lol. But in all seriousness, how's it look? 

The second image on here is just a witch doing witchy things, I thought it looked kind of neat. 

Comments

• Gemini QueenGemini Queen Posts: 263
    edited October 2021

Daz is doing something weird, it's not uploading certain images but it will upload others. Odd. 

EDIT - I think there's a cap on how large an image can be, cause it will not upload the original image that I wanted, it keeps timing out and gives me an error message. Bummer. 

witch 1 -1 .png
    631 x 420 - 480K
    Post edited by Gemini Queen on
  • margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

Some tips:

• HDRI is too bright. It very obviously looks like a grainy photograph with the gamma turned up.
    • The magic symbol could use some bloom filter. It's in the Render Settings tab.
    • The model looks a bit too smooth. Try turning up the SubD and turning on the normal maps, if it has any.
    • The space on either side looks a little weird. You don't need to get everything in the shot. It's okay to crop the top and bottom a little bit.

Other than that, it looks good. 

• I've done a little research on what HDRI lighting is, but I think I need to do a lot more to understand how it effects an image. And the bloom filter, isn't that what makes it look "hazy"? If so, then that's what I've been looking for but had no idea what it was called or how to explain it properly in youtube. The SubD I've also heard of, but still not truly understanding how it effects a model. Based on what you're saying, it sounds like it effects the "roughness" of it in a way. Youtube will tell me what I need to know for sure. I'm gradually working on the cropping, and some of the other images that I've been working on are starting to look a little cleaner after it's been cropped in GIMP. 

Otherwise, thank you! 

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

Gemini Queen said:

I've done a little research on what HDRI lighting is, but I think I need to do a lot more to understand how it effects an image. And the bloom filter, isn't that what makes it look "hazy"? If so, then that's what I've been looking for but had no idea what it was called or how to explain it properly in youtube. The SubD I've also heard of, but still not truly understanding how it effects a model. Based on what you're saying, it sounds like it effects the "roughness" of it in a way. Youtube will tell me what I need to know for sure. I'm gradually working on the cropping, and some of the other images that I've been working on are starting to look a little cleaner after it's been cropped in GIMP. 

Otherwise, thank you! 

An HDRI is just a big 360 degree photograph somebody snapped with a camera, including the lighting information from wherever they were standing. If you turn the gamma up too high, it's going to be covered in digital noise like your backdrop. It's not the lighting itself that's a problem, just the fact that the photo has too much gamma boosting.

The bloom filter will add a halo of light around bright objects. It has three settings: the radius, which controls how much the large the effect is; the threshold, which is how bright a light source needs to be before it gets bloom; and the brightness scale, which is how much brighter the bloom light will become.

SubD stands for subdivision surface. If you go into wireframe mode, you'll see your model is made of faces/quads. SubD will split each face into quadrants and do some math to flatten the angles between them. Basically, it breaks a face down into four little faces to create a smoother, less jagged surface. However, in addition to that, Daz's HD morphs only take effect on a subdivided mesh. You need to use SubD to see the fine HD details that come with Daz's figures.