Early 1900s Young Men Wear?

What can I use or kitbash for the sort of thing a prep-school boy might have worn ca. 1900-1910?  These can be three-piece suits or possibly two-piece; the latter seems to have been more common for leisure wear.  See https://vintagedancer.com/1900s/1910-teen-boys-clothing/ ; for several specimens — and also notice the hats.   The waists for the trousers are higher than they are nowadays (held by suspenders, in the case of a 3-piece suit; you didn't show suspenders at that period unless you were a laborer).  Note also the descriptions of the trousers with watch pockets (again, no vest/waistcoat); and note the narrow neckties (bow ties also suitable) with a small knot, and the optional separate shirt collars.

I also found the attached image said to be a 1910 portrait: the tie is considerably bigger than in those catalog pictures.   We think of men from that period, I think, as having greasy slicked-down hair; but the boy in the portrait seems to have a pretty dry-look haircut (one which, really, would not look completely out of place today).   I suppose it is best to remember that men and young men wore hats and caps, and those would get pretty horrible after a few days if they used a lot of 1950s greasy kid stuff.  Suggestions for hair styles suitable to the period (lying pretty flat, possibly center parted) are also welcome.  Indeed, duplicating this boy's portrait would be a big step forward.

Comments

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123
    edited October 2021

Another example of a scene I'd love to re-create from that period.  Note the Morris chair in the background, and the window seat (and the shape and size of the football on the mantle).  It portrays a boys' dorm room.

Then there's this Norman Rockwell from 1915.   The football uniforms would be a great bonus.

Post edited by Ostadan on
  • chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,798
    edited October 2021

Grantham Hall Suit is somewhere to start for male clothes of that era - I don't think it mattered much stylewise if you were 16 or 60 - but it's for G2M.

Love those pictures, btw.

Post edited by chris-2599934 on
  • Ostadan said:

Another example of a scene I'd love to re-create from that period.  Note the Morris chair in the background, and the window seat (and the shape and size of the football on the mantle).  It portrays a boys' dorm room.

That would be a rugby ball.

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123

Richard Haseltine said:

That would be a rugby ball.

It would be; but the book it is from portrays American football in this school ca. 1910, and the ball had not yet evolved to its present shape from the watermelon-like rugby ball.   Here's another picture: