Carrara Used for Secondlife

JikitoJikito Posts: 15
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

When I first started to get into modelling for second life, folks told me go for blender. Ugh if anyone tried to navigate blender it can be a nightmare.
When i suggested that i would use carrara for modelling and texturing, I was told that it could not be done. Suprise I did it as i will post some pics of some of the things I have modeled, textured and exported from carrara.

but before I do, I wanted to say there are a few things I wish in future carrara that might make things a bit easier for the entire process.

1) better texture baking: Not a daz plugin, but I wish the author of carrara baker would add a 1 pixel bleed , otherwise known as padding so you do not see edges on the seamlines.

2) Native carrara baking high to low poly. This is becomming standard in other software suites, the idea of baking textures from a high poly model to a low poly one.

3) better modelling tools, like would love if hexagon's toolset was merged into the modelling room.

I am sure many more can add to this list of wishful thinking, in the meantime.. here is some of my SL projects, some unfinished. but proof that Carrara is a viable tool for modelling for game engines.

None of these pictures are post edited, you see them as you see them in the secondlife engine.

photo adobe_001_zpsxxrptgfa.jpg

photo adobeinside_001_zpstsxeyglp.jpg

photo stall_001_zpsdmd5dxku.jpg

photo little green man_001_zpsjlpiq1nr.jpg

photo barrel and stool_001_zpstbijutvs.jpg

photo adobeinside_002_zpstwebtgmc.jpg

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,039
    edited February 2015

ManStan is that you?
    If not, I know a former member of this forum ManStan modeled for secondlife using Carrara and Hexagon the latter even does sculpties, I myself know nothing about doing such stuff BTW just sharing.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • JikitoJikito Posts: 15
    edited December 1969

Nope not Manstan =),
    but just thought i would share with others who might have been told it's not possible.
    you can do sculpties with hexagon easily, you can also with carrara with a plugin.
    but secondlife uses standard models now in the collada format, sculpties are a bit dated.