Compositing

JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
edited February 2015 in Carrara Discussion

I'm often strongly suggesting that folks here consider adding compositing to their bag of tricks, since it is crucial to most CG/VFX/animation artists.

I thought I had mentioned this here, but apparently not...

A few months ago a company called Blackmagic, who had purchased another company called Eyeon, released one of the industry's most popular compositing applications called Fusion. It's been used for decades in feature films and just about everything else.

But the cool thing is the cost: it's FREE. And it is pretty much unlimited feature-wise, basically the same app as the big studios use, except for some features of it's $1000 cousin that include stuff mainly used in large studios with big teams that need to collaborate.

Now, keep in mind that this is NOT something designed for hobbyists who aren't really familiar with compositing concepts and software. It will be a STEEP learning curve for most. But they have very nice manual that comes with the download (surprisingly only 60MB for the software plus manual, BTW).

Anyway, for those who want a whole new learning experience you might want to give it a shot. It's really pretty incredible something like this is available for free. The features are mind blowing.

For something that's quite a bit more user friendly, but with far fewer features, but also free, is the Blender node compositor.

And word is that another industry recognized compositing app, Nuke, will also be released for free early this year.

So if you ever wanted to get into compositing, which, IMO, is one of the most interesting and important aspects of feature film and other production, now is the time.

Interesting, though, how so many companies are releasing such feature-rich software for free, everywhere you turn.

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on

Comments

• scottidog2scottidog2 Posts: 319
    edited December 1969

Ya you're right.
    For motion graphic artists its after effects.
    For Compositing and VFX its Nuke and Fusion.
    I was learning After Effects and it gets very confusing and frustrating when doing composing with multi pass renders from 3D software.
    You have to pre-compose so many times and end up with multi level nested compositions that you end up losing track of your work.
    Recently I made a decision to try Nuke for compositing and was amazed at how logical and refined the workflow was.
    Nuke is node based where as After Effects is layer based.
    Nuke is true 3D.
    AE is 2.5D with 3D model integration through Cinema 4D.

Fusion is node based 3D Compositor and is a competitor to Nuke.
    Fusion is PC only at the moment but a Mac version is under development right now.
    One other software for consideration is Hitfilm 3 which does compositing, VFX and video editing all in one software.
    It has an amazing particle system which I played around.
    A free fully working demo is available from their site. You can create, save and render out your project.
    The only Demo restriction is that it will allow you to render out to youtube at SD resolution.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited February 2015

Scottidog,
    From what I recall of your work you rely HEAVILY on compositing, correct? I assume you're pretty comfortable with it.

I kind of hesitate to push it here because I don't think the average Carrara user *thinks* in terms of compositing, for obvious reasons. I think most approach 3D as adding all the stuff you need to a scene and rendering the entire thing. There's really no need to do much compositing, for the most part.

So as you know, you need to first see what compositing is, and the benefits in clear visual examples. Until you "get it", and how it can help your workflow, and give you ultimate control and efficiency, it's more of a "yeah, okay, sounds nice but I don't really need it" kind of thing. Which is totally understandable.

But unless you *think* in compositing terms, and what can be done, and approach your work with that mindset, it probably seems like something fairly time consuming and unnecessary. And I suspect for the first-timer who just looks at the interface of Nuke or Fusion, it's probably something like "HUH?". Not exactly user friendly. I was pretty much raised on them, plus AE, so my mind is twisted enough to really love them. :) :) :)

Anyway, for those who are interested, there's a whole world of compositing out there that is a lot of fun :) :)

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
    edited December 1969

My work is initially composited in Carrara and rendered out as Multi-Pass file. Them composited in Photoshop so I can do color corrects, masking etc.
    I take the approach of a Matte Painter using 3D assets for an image creation.
    I first looked at Nuke a year ago and it just confused me as I was used to layer, track based software (Premiere pro. FCP).
    So I was put off and started learning After effects for compositing and VFX.
    I learn Rotoscoping, 2D camera Tracking, 3D Camera Tracking (Matchmove) and how to apply VFX effects onto the layers etc.
    Doing anything more than a simple composite in AE is painful.
    One important thing an artist must do is called "Lightwrap" to blend the 3D renders with the background image.
    This is very complicated in AE and requires lots of pre-comping and masking.
    After doing Lightwrap I was totally put off AE by its clunky way of doing things.
    I learned from watching youtube videos that the technique of Lightwrap is fairy simple in nuke.
    I absolutely love Nuke.

The reason for compositing in a high end software is for VFX.
    Photoshop is basically for creation of still images.
    i want my images to have animation, VFX and music.
    I want it to come alive with the emotions and moods I had when I first imagined the ideas.
    For me the print medium is dead. Its all about digital consumption on the computer and tablets.
    More and more photographers are being replaced by CGI artists.

I came to the realisation that its all about the experience that the viewer goes through.
    An experience that leaves the footprint of a pleasant memory.
    People will come back for more of what captures their imagination.

• starboardstarboard Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

I have been using AE since version 4.. Used the Brian Maffitt tapes and Trish and Chris Meyer books, etc. on AE. I would be lost without AE. It seems you fellows are pushing the envelope with respect to my use of AE. I looked over Nuke - very impressive but also very pricy..and another steep learning curve that I can see. However if the need arises, and I decide to get into Hollywood production - lol, it may be the way to go. At present AE is fulfilling all my compositing needs.

I agree that trying to do all your work in Carrara is a tough road. For my part I don't have a lot of use so far for the landscape functions. It is so much easier getting the desired backgrounds in AE.

I think the problem is today for someone coming to AE for the first time is the complexity..When I learned AE it was a much simpler program, since then it has been improved numerous times and in the process, it must now be mystifying to a beginner. However, I do not use the latest version anyway.. I suppose it depends on what the purpose of your video projects are..Whether for the web/ U-tube or the big screen. The larger the image the more critical the requirements..A flaw on a small screen can pass un-noticed, on a large screen its gaping wound. Personally, I think if there was an AE lite version of say having the features of version CS2 or 4 this would fit the needs of those who are presently using Carrara - if they choose to go in this direction. In short, I think the compositing programs at present are way above the hobbyist/ web user needs... There is room in the market, for a much simpler video compositing program aimed at the needs of these numerous potential users.

Starboardtack

edited December 1969

I use Carrara for Landscapes, Vegetation and replicators. Carrara is a fantastic software that is fun and easy to learn with PhilW training videos.
    msteaka, take a look at Hitfilm 3 Pro. It is similar to after Effects as its layer based with a fantastic Particle Engine and true 3D. You can directly import 3D models into it.
    With AE you have to buy Particular Plugin to get particles.

Hitfilm does compositing, VFX and video editing.
    Its only $299

https://hitfilm.com/

I am now sticking to purely node based software because its easier to understand and remember the workflow.
    I am into compositing & VFX, not so much into motion graphics.

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235
    edited December 1969

I love After Effects, it was my gateway drug into 3D. :-P

But Adobe's decision to go ALL rental...no way. They smugly gave their middle finger to a huge customer base while all their stupid fluff marketing reasons for going all rental collapsed after about ten minutes of scrutiny. I have no problem with software being offered as rental - I can totally see how it would make sense to rent something temporarily as one needs it. Or if the rental model works great for users - fantastic! But this "pay for life" or you lose access to your software is sickening to me. And I might be in smaller minority than I think, who knows, I can only vote with my wallet and adapt to changing circumstances. (But I'm still a little sore about it.)

Anyway, I'm on a Mac, so I'm anxiously waiting for Blackmagic to release the Mac version so I can dive in.
    (not looking forward to the learning curve...)

Thanks JoeMamma2000 for bringing this info to the community's attention. Didn't know about the possibility of a free version of Nuke. And I do keep poking at Blender, trying to make myself learn it. :-)

And thanks scottidog2 for the HitFilm reminder. They ported HitFilm to the Mac shortly after Adobe's decision if I remember correctly. :lol:

edited February 2015

I am a Mac user since 1999.
    HitFilm 3 Pro is indeed for mac also.
    Download the demo and play with it.

I think when Blackmagic releases Fusion for Mac more artists
    will dump AE and move to Fusion for compositing.

Post edited by scottidog2 on
    edited December 1969

For something mind-blowing check this artist who used After Effects to composite an image that he sold for a million dollars.

http://vimeo.com/36092192

This is what inspired me to try after effects.

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235
    edited December 1969

For something mind-blowing check this artist who used After Effects to composite an image that he sold for a million dollars.

http://vimeo.com/36092192

This is what inspired me to try after effects.

Wow, that was fantastic, and humbling. Lot's of "clues" to analyze. Thanks for the link.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

I think the assumption that a lot of us don't use compositing when building or designing a scene is a bit off the mark. I suggest it quite frequently, and a look at some of the Carrara Challenge WIP threads will show that a lot of people use it for their scenes, albeit they are mostly stills, so PS tends to be the focus.

• starboardstarboard Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

Scottidog,
    Thanks for some valuable "heads up". I spent some time looking over hitfilm website. It looks very good, combining the editing with compositing.. Soon as I get the chance I will look for some tutorials to see how it works. At present I am quite happy with my older versions of AE, but its good to know that there is a reasonable priced alternative in the wings - just in case. And with Adobe diffusing into the cloud, it may come sooner than I thought.

The vimeo website was quite fascinating. Thanks again, its definitely worth going back and giving it a closer look. I'm curious, how do you sell a digital image for a million $. What is it you get...a DVD - the copyright certificate.

Thanks again ..really good links.

Starboardtack

edited February 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h5XbebaNUI&list=UUJueGOfnf-K30KDa7o8_-VQ&index=1&feature=plcp

https://www.facebook.com/Rebirth.of.Gaea

http://resourcemagonline.com/2012/08/rebirth-of-gaea-an-epic-voyage-in-photography/8530/

The final resolution is an eye-popping 30,000 x 10,000, a 300 million pixel canvas, with 145 times more resolution than HD.

Some more information about this fascinating artist.

Post edited by scottidog2 on
    edited December 1969

His personal website

http://www.jessenewman.com/

• edited December 1969

I only use AE for "complicated" sequences (ones with effects).

Most of what I do is in Premier Pro right now, as it handles the transparencies well.

Sometimes when doing .avi sequences I will use a background image mag directly in C, it works OK but I don't seem to have as much control over the image placement but does the job; so you don't even need other software. Been trying to use the shadow catcher thing with this sometimes but not sure if this is best method, still in trial mode... usually in animation you don't see their feet but sometimes you need to do this which can be tricky when using background images.

I would use Hitfilm, they have a free offer (???) right now but am kind of locked into CC for the moment and it would be helpful if I do colaboration, which is on the horizon.... But really probably will "upgrade" process to Fusion one fine day when I have a week or 2 to sort it all out.... but there is a danger in this too... to be productive you sometimes have to stick to what's working... change is good but only sometimes.

edited December 1969

Scottidog, thanks for posting that video from Jesse Newman. A great visual example and inspiration for folks in just one *tiny* aspect of compositing....if that doesn't visually explain some of the possible opportunities from compositing, I don't know what will :) :) :)

edited December 1969

BTW, it would be nice if someone could do an in-depth tutorial or whatever on the use of Carrara's Multi Pass render layers, and how those can be used in compositing. I don't think most users have a clue about the world of opportunities available to them :) :) :)

I think there are some good videos around showing something similar for other apps, and those should be perfectly applicable to Carrara. I'll see if I can find them.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Now that is something which would go down really well :)

As someone not well versed in 2D editing, just a reasonably good explanation of the terms would be much appreciated.

edited December 1969
  • MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

I use Carrara for Landscapes, Vegetation and replicators. Carrara is a fantastic software that is fun and easy to learn with PhilW training videos.
    msteaka, take a look at Hitfilm 3 Pro. It is similar to after Effects as its layer based with a fantastic Particle Engine and true 3D. You can directly import 3D models into it.
    With AE you have to buy Particular Plugin to get particles.

Hitfilm does compositing, VFX and video editing.
    Its only $299

https://hitfilm.com/

I am now sticking to purely node based software because its easier to understand and remember the workflow.
    I am into compositing & VFX, not so much into motion graphics.

I downloaded fusion but haven't started playing with it yet.

Also Hitfilm 3 Pro comes with a Hitfilm version of Mocha (a planer tracker and more). I also have when they had one of there super sales the full up version of Mocha. Now if I could only get Carrara to load the camera data.

edited December 1969

Carrara Pro can only read .syncar file format.
    So you need a tracker that can export this format.
    So far my research indicates "SynthEyes" exports to Carrara.

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited February 2015

Carrara Pro can only read .syncar file format.
    So you need a tracker that can export this format.
    So far my research indicates "SynthEyes" exports to Carrara.

It can also read Realviz® XML Import (Pro version only)

It is too bad it won't read a common format like FBX Camera data. It would be nice for a broader industry standard, thats why Mocha outputs FBX. I have an older version of PFhoe and I bought the matchmover that someone wrote to convert the .ma (maya output ) from the older PFHoe to .syncar format. There was also a voodoo2 converter out there as well somewhere. I think it was on ShareCG but I don't know if its been updated or works.

If I could find some good details on the outputs from Mocha and a breakdown on the SynthEyes syncar file format perhaps I could put together a converter. I know Mocha will most likely give me that detail as they have been pretty helpful. I just haven't had the time to follow up with it all.

Back to the subject that Black Magic Fusion looks very cool and the other products mentioned are reasonable and do a great job too!

Post edited by Milo on