Crashes on old scenes

wsxcwsxc Posts: 19
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I've made some scenes in my previous version - Carrara 8 (it was on the old 32-bit machine). When I've switched to x64 system with Carrara 8.5, I found that the old scenes open but cause Carrara crash after 1-2 seconds. What's wrong with them - I've thought there should be some compatibility (or at least the program will tell me that the loaded scene is "wrong")

Comments

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

It's sure that's not the jump from 32 to 64 bits the cause.
    The only thing wich could occur is that Carrara ask for some elements if your previous runtime is not loaded yet and if your file wasn't saved internally.
    Is the crash during the loading or after ?

edited December 1969

Try to decompress the file .car before reloading it (Winzip, Winrar, 7z…).

• wsxcwsxc Posts: 19
    edited December 1969

Is the crash during the loading or after ?A couple seconds after.
    Try to decompress the file .car before reloading it (Winzip, Winrar, 7z…).
    Doesn't help.
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

They should be compatible. The files may be corrupted. Is there anything about them that is different, or could have changed, such as the location of referenced image maps, videos or image sequences? Are the scenes built using plugins that haven't been updated to your latest version of Carrara?

edited February 2015

Is it possible to reinstall C8 on the new computer to make a test ?
    If that doesn't work whereas he worked on the old one, perhaps you must update the driver of the graphics card …

Post edited by DUDU on
    edited December 1969

The files may be corrupted.I think if the files were corrupted, the scene would not load at all...
    Is there anything about them that is different, or could have changed, such as the location of referenced image maps, videos or image sequences? Are the scenes built using plugins that haven't been updated to your latest version of Carrara?
    No, these scenes were extremely simple with no plugins usage or any complicated scene tweaking.
    If that doesn't work whereas he worked on the old one, perhaps you must update the driver of the graphics card …Whaaa? Carrara 8 worked good on my old system, and Carrara 8.5 works even better on new one (with the same drivers, though). Do you want to say my driver is new enough to handle Carrara 8.5 scenes but too old to handle Carrara 7 oldies at the same time?
    edited December 1969

No relationship with your version of Carrara but with your new graphics card.
    When a new component is installed, the driver always should be updated.

edited February 2015

First off, we're all just volunteers here. Just a reminder as your last response to DUDU could be taken as a bit sarcastic although I'm sure you didn't mean it that way. English is also not the first language of everybody here, so subtleties of language, idioms, slang, puns, etc. can be missed or mis-construed.

My thoughts are that if there is any corruption, it could be an element in the scene, and perhaps not the whole scene file. I have personally experienced this before. Getting rid of a certain element and recreating or reloading it from the file browser fixed the issue in most cases. The only corrupted scene file that I couldn't save was saved used Carrara's compression option, and the scene did open- sort of. All I saw was the Assembly room window open, Carrara telling me it was calculating data for display and then the dreaded and vague, An Error Has Occurred fault. Nothing I did worked.

Answers are vague and people are shooting in the dark because the description of the scene is vague. I know you can't get screen caps because Carrara crashes on you after a couple seconds, but a verbal description, as best as you can could help.

Have you tried loading the scene in the Batch Queue to see if it will render? This could either confirm or rule out a graphics card issue. For instance, a scene loaded in the batch queue isn't displayed by Carrara, just the render. If it is the graphics card causing Carrara to crash, then the scene should load and render fine. If it is another issue, such as a corrupted scene or element in the scene, then Carrara should either not load the scene and/or crash, If it is an element in the scene that is bad, then Carrara may crash or stall when it gets to that point in the render.

There could be other reasons as long as my arm, but trying to think of all the possibilities and permutations at one time is impossible.

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Thank you for these clarifications EP !;-)
    You are right in connection with the loading in batch queue, I must sometimes make like that with scenes which don't want to load or which stops rendering in the middle of an image.
    That often arrives when there are particles in the scene.
    I'm shure it's my graphic card built'in memory wich is to low ( 330Mo/ NV 8800GTS).

edited December 1969

No relationship with your version of Carrara but with your new graphics card.
    When a new component is installed, the driver always should be updated.New Carrara and new graphic card were installed at the same time. The card had the latest driver versions for that moment. Now I have the latest drivers.
    Just a reminder as your last response to DUDU could be taken as a bit sarcastic although I'm sure you didn't mean it that way.Sorry. I'm just confused by the fact that the advice to "update drivers" is given on every issue. Even when I'm complain on 1999 year's videogame issues, people still recommend me to "update drivers". That's why I'm so suspicious :)
    Getting rid of a certain element and recreating or reloading it from the file browser fixed the issue in most cases.
    That's another problem.
    I had some issues with DAZ studio imported scenes. Carrara didn't want to render them. I've found that all the problems were caused by duplicate element names like "Wall" -> "Wall (2)", so the removal of these objects solved the problem.
    This time, however, Carrara crushes on scene loading, so no editing is possible.
    Have you tried loading the scene in the Batch Queue to see if it will render?Yes, and it makes a perfect render...
    edited December 1969

Have you tried to create a new scene, and then import the problem scene into the new one? I just read this in another thread as a suggestion.

It's kind of strange that it will load and render in the Batch Queue, but not open the scene in the usual way.

If you can remember the last time you saved the scene, did you use the Save command and quit, or did you Quit and Carrara asked if you wanted to save first?

If you went to quit Carrara without saving first, and then Carrara asked if you wanted to save before quitting, and you clicked Okay, then that could cause the file to be corrupted. From what I have read, the corruption is due to Carrara not finishing writing data to the saved file when the application quits.

edited February 2015

Have you tried to create a new scene, and then import the problem scene into the new one? I just read this in another thread as a suggestion.
    It works! In short: the problem was a texture bug of one scene object. If you need details, see below.

The imported scene worked perfect. When I've changed the view mode from default from default "Gouraud" to "Texture", Carrara has crashed. Crashes were caused by "Texture" view mode!
    I've decided to load the "corrupted" scene and quickly switch to "Gouraud" mode. It was quite tricky (one second time!), but I've managed to do it. As a result I've got a normal working original scene.
    After that I've deleted all the scene objects one by one, switched to "Texture" mode and started to "Undo" deletions. When I've restored one of the building, Carrara have crashed. Next time I've deleted the building, and - it work perfect in texture mode!

Thanks a million - the building was not the most important part of the scene, so I'll throw it away.

Post edited by wsxc on