Windows 11 and Daz Studio

2»

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593
    edited December 2021

...nuts, That is one thing next to the registry I really don't like messing with. Seems odd that pretty much all of the A4 MBs (save for the super expensive ones) have this issue with the Ryzen 9 CPUs. One would think they'd update the BIOS at the factory for new boards since the R9's release.

That was one of the factors which caused me to look at Intel instead. Unfortunately most of their other late generation  i7/9 series CPUs don't have the core/thread count I am looking for unless I want to shell out more than the price of the full upgrade for a Xeon. 

Trying to keep this under 1,000 USD as I also still need to get the retail version of W11. 

StratDragon said:

Petra said:

I wonder if anyone here is running Windows 11 and can tell us if Daz Studio is working fine?

Windows 11 is a work in progress for Microsoft and Windows 10 is still very much supported by them. Personally if you're not testing Windows 11 right now you may get yourself into hot water upgrading to it at the moment.

...so it's sort of where W10 was at the initial release 6 years ago, 

Not going to incur double the cost for the OS by going 10 in the interim. My plan is to do a clean install (the only things that go on the boot drive are programmes and system utilities, all my Daz content libraries and runtimes are on a separate data SSD) as with some older "white box" builds there have been issues going through the online update. 

ETA

Back looking at Intel again and having to deal with high TDP ratings of the new Comet and Rocket Lake CPUs makes cooling a critical situation as the all ones with higher base clock rating are have a 125w base TDP and in benchmarks tests ahve been seen to reach up to 2255w at peak load  

Only a handful of air cooling units are really considered viable and as expected they are slightly more expensive (though not a much as closed loop water cooling). The other matter is their size, as the recommended ones have massive tower heat sinks..  So for now considering a Noctua D15 S that has a height of just over 6".which can keep a CPU reasonably cool up to 250w TDP.  Did a few measurements, and it will fit (just barely) but my bigger concern is that it's about two and a half pounds that will be hanging off the motherboard.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • I've been running Win11 for a little while now (I guess a few weeks or so) and at first I was tempted to revert back to 10 because the performance in Dax Studio was horrible.  My workflow has always been to use the AUX Viewport with iray set as it's display mode, while working in the main viewport with Hidden Line view.  That setup worked great in Windows 10, but in 11 brought my machine to a crawl.  I would have to wait several seconds for the UI to respond to almost all interactions.

However, I did notice what some others noticed; a lot of CPU utilization/fallback.  My machine runs an RTX 2070 Super, which has always been sufficient to handle IRAY things on its own.  When I went into the advanced render settings for Daz, I noticed *both* the Cuda 0 (ie the 2070) and CPU were checked as devices. As an experiment I unchecked CPU for both Photoreal and Interactive modes and also disabled Allow CPU fallback.  The theory being to force Studio to rely on the GPU and leave the main CPU alone. When I restarted Studio, everything was back to normal. 

I honestly cant say for certain if CPU was checked as a device when running in Windows 10 or not.   My assumption was that my Studio installation was always configured so that the GPU was handling all the load, which is why I was surprised to see the CPU set as a device.  I could be wrong about that, tho.

It may or not help anyone else, but I figured I'd share it anyway.

Screenshot 2021-12-29 135637.jpg
    556 x 895 - 55K
  • coralyncoralyn Posts: 46

I guess I would just say, "What is your goal?" Win 10 offered a much better max-RAM per process over Win7, so when rendering Win10 allowed better bitmap loads, etc.

What is Win11 offering? Teams chat app? Android store downloads? How do those aid DS?

I have updated 2 of my 4 systems to Win 11, and I do notice a significant SLOW-DOWN in simple games under Win 11. I assume this will fix itself, but my main DAZ machine is still on Win10. My personal (non-humble) opinion is that Win11 was a cartel decision made between MS and PC makers like Dell, HP, Lenvo. People were too happy with Win10, so not buying new computers! Win11's need for TPM (trusted-platform-modules) and digitally signed FW is theoritically a beutiful life-improvement ... but it also means buying new HW! We all gain? I intend to leave my DAZ-render machine on Win 10 until there is a reason to move to 11 - such as Win 10 support is discontinoued :-)

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,527

coralyn said:

I intend to leave my DAZ-render machine on Win 10 until there is a reason to move to 11 - such as Win 10 support is discontinoued :-)

That's no reason to update as long as you have (Nvidia) drivers that are up to the minimum requirements of DS that you have, so far that's true for W7 that I'm using.

• coralyncoralyn Posts: 46
    edited January 2022

Well, Win 7 did limit the max size of a single thread to like 2GB ram (4GB? whatever), so rendering suffered the need to cache textures more. Win 10 allowed a single thread to have more RAM allocated to it. Given I had 32GB of RAM, I was very happy to move from Win7 to Win 10!

But you are certainly correct - if it ain't BROKE, don't fix it! :-). I plan to wait for Win 11 to offer a value I need before I switch,

Post edited by coralyn on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,527

coralyn said:

Well, Win 7 did limit the max size of a single thread to like 2GB ram (4GB? whatever), so rendering suffered the need to cache textures more. Win 10 allowed a single thread to have more RAM allocated to it. Given I had 32GB of RAM, I was very happy to move from Win7 to Win 10!

But you are certainly correct - if it ain't BROKE, don't fix it! :-). I plan to wait for Win 11 to offer a value I need before I switch,

Are you talking about 32bit version or home edition? 

• If people are active still in this forum I'm having trouble with Daz3D whenever I choose to render or use IRAY my monitor turns black and I can't log off and never responds  currently on windows 11

• edited April 2022

Just got a new hp omen. Windows 11 is worse than the last garbage and Daz (4.20) is not installing after downloading. Don't know if that's Daz or M$ at fault though.

(Edit: I meant my content not installing, Daz works ok)

Post edited by scouseaphrenia_c6c3d26832 on
  • scouseaphrenia_c6c3d26832 said:

Just got a new hp omen. Windows 11 is worse than the last garbage and Daz (4.20) is not installing after downloading. Don't know if that's Daz or M$ at fault though.

(Edit: I meant my content not installing, Daz works ok)

Is it failing to install, or is it apparently installing but not shwoing in Daz Studio? Having OneDrive usurp the Documents folders can do that as the path in Daz Studio is no longer valid.

• edited April 2022

DIM installs successfully, or at least says it has. Daz doesn't agree. some assets are ok but others aren't. I thought I had removed all the rubbish and bloatware, but anything's possible with this "cosmic" release of theirs...

• So, is Daz Studio online (check the options in the Connect menu if you are not sure)?

• Yes I'm connected ok. I thought it might have been older assets but seems to be random.

• OK, if you are connected look at top-right of the product thumbnail (Producs tab of Smart Content) - is there a downward triangle in a broken circle icon?

• edited April 2022

yes, it's there...

but I've just seen some that dont have it...

• The ones that don't have it will be products installed through Daz Studio itself, which would override any Install Manager files - I was thinking the problem products might have been ones where the Connect (through Daz Studio) version was corrupt but it appears not. What are your content directory settings and wheer exactly are the files?

• All cms settings are at their default. Ive not altered anything

• Well, I meant the daz Studio setings and the actual location on disc of a sample of the problem files.

• i upgrade to WIN 11 and GPU up to RX6700 XT few days ago , DAZ3D work fine .......... until i start trying dForce to simulate female outfit , then the system has FATAL ERROR , and force to shut down the software ......................

i am using :

CPU = Ryzen7 3800X

GPU = RX 6700 XT 

RAM = 16337 MB

HD SPACE = 2860395 MB

i don't have the dForce erreo when i am using WIN 10 and GPU RX-590

• RL_MediaRL_Media Posts: 339
    edited April 2022

Quick question, did you go to https://www.amd.com/en/support and grab the latest driver for CPU and chipset? It's very important for win11, there is a huge bug that makes ryzens run really bad in win11 without them. Also worth grabbing one straight from AMD for your RX while you are there. Windows and GPU drivers are notoriously bad

Post edited by RL_Media on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,728

I just upgraded to Windows 11.  Trying to figure out if it was a good move or not.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,808

Strict advise, if DS is your main app to use:
    No Mac !
    Only Nvidea GPUs with at least 8 gig Vram !
    At least 32 gig system RAM !

• Should I install Win11 or not?

Does DAZ Studio work on Win11 or theere are any problems?

Experimenter said:

Should I install Win11 or not?

my only problem right now with using Windows 11 and Daz studio is that my hard drive space is too small.  But then it was the same issue for this computer when it had Windows 10 on it. 

edited September 2022

oh maybe it is because the hard dive is too small and/or I have too much content?  Too much content for the drive I mean.

Post edited by Sfariah D on
    edited September 2022
    I thought I edited this post already?
    edited September 2022

I think it is time to go to bed.

Good night!

• Experimenter said:

Should I install Win11 or not?

I haven't had any problems with DAZ Studio on Windows 11.

• I have Win11 on one system - a small notebook I used to edit OpenOffice files - Win11's file-manager is hopelessly 'disfunctional' for full-time users :-(. I'm still using Win 10 on my DAZ machine, plus the three I use for work (3D addiction paid for by writing embedded firmware for energy devices).

If you are like me, then 99% of your file-manager work includes right-clicking an entry to (for example) send to 7-Zip or edit with a specific tool like notepad++ or OO Writer. Win 11 does not directly support this. You need to right-click and select to use an expanded menu EVERY action. The old action still seems to be purposely disabled & even the online REGISTERY hacks to re-enable the mode get disabled one-by-one by Mama-MS in a game of whack-a-mole. Honestly, this should be a simple GUI setting (unchecked - use new way, or checked - use old way). 

• My 2 cents is do NOT go to Windows 11 if you absolutely do not have to. I Built  new rig last week, Asus TufGaming Plus MB, i9 13th Gen processor, A Suprim Geforce Watercooled 4090 GPU and 64GB Ram, frunning 22h2 Fresh install and the only thing I bought this for was to run Daz. It's incredibly Laggy, you go to move a sider and theres a pause while Daz catches up, the APU kicks in for every move and trying to do anuimation is impossible, you can't even move the slider along the time line bcasue it has to stop and catch up every single frame. Updated Bios, made sure all drivers are up to date, ran through the optimization settings within Daz, and then today got so fed up I blew out and did a fresh install from scratch again just in case I messed up something on the initial install.. but no. Renders are pretty smoking fast but I'm basically relegated to doing my posing on my older machine running Win10 with dual 3080tis which is still smooth then transfering over to the new machine for rendering. 5K in the toilet so far. not to mention the OS interface is just junk, context menu sucks, Folder thumbnails up until this most recent patch were nonexistant and even with the new 22h2 you still can't tell whats in a folder. Just a horrible operating system. It appears the every other OS curse is still in effect.