Switch from PC to Macbook?

murph101murph101 Posts: 68
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Would you do this?

I am concerned about compatibility across the platforms. I'm presuming both DAZ and Carrara have a Mac OS edition.

Are there any plugins that won't make the switch?

I'm looking to amp up my laptop performance for faster renders, and thereby, better renders with constant tweaking for a better image. I'm considering Alienware 17, topped out, or a Mac Book Pro. I have also looked at Razor Blade, Lenovo, and Asus.

There are certain musts, such as 4th Gen i7, and 16GB ram, and as much SSD gigs as the model offers. However, Alienware and a few others have 4K displays, which sounds sexy as hell.

My big reservation about the Alienware is it will take nearly 3 weeks to get it. ARGHHH!

If you wanted to drop some coin on a new laptop, specifically for improved render speeds, what would you choose and why?

Comments

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

Carrara runs fine on a Mac, as does Studio.

Neither Bryce nor Hexagon will run on modern Macs. (except under Windows emulation)

The big problem with large screen displays - retina/4K etc is that Carrara for sure (dunno about Studio) doesn't have a UI that can scale up to that kind of pixel density. So you're left with tiny icons and almost unreadable without a magnifier text.

• murph101murph101 Posts: 68
    edited December 1969

THANK YOU!!! You just saved me a few hundred dollars and narrowed my field considerably.

That would have been a screaming disappointment to get a killer machine only to find the apps I depend on are wonky.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.