C 8.5 Pro smart content: can one only use Install manager?

cobuspcobusp Posts: 302
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Ok, I'm sort-of up and running with 8.5 now.

To access all the wonderful content from within Carrara, is there a way to install it all manually? Thing is, at work I have unlimited download capacity (I'm limited to only 10 Gigs per month at home); I know -- don't laugh!

But this means of course, that I download the zip files instead of using IM. If it's possible, how can I then install the content at my home computer?

Thanks for any advice.
Cobus

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,945
    edited December 1969

I believe you can by working offline so long as you put the manifest files in the correct folder
    after all when I got my SSD I added those files to that folder manually from my backup when DIM showed nothing installed and that worked.
    So see no reason why the ones in the zips shouldn't too.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

I never use DIM to install, I always install manually. It works fine as long as you put things in the right folder (just open the zip and see what folder it's designed to go into).

Most carrara content will go into C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\Carrara8.5\Presets

Of course Daz and Poser content can go into whatever file structure you have setup for them, then once Carrara is started up it's just a matter of adding the poser runtimes to your content tab.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Note that the zip files will generally have a top level folder with a name like "Carrara 8_5;8;7_2;7" -- only extract the files UNDERNEATH that top-level folder.

edited December 1969

I was thinking if you wanted to use smart content you need DIM and manifests in folder with content manager running using Valentina not Postgre for its database
    manually installing you can use everything Poser legacy from your content library and import duf via file

• cobuspcobusp Posts: 302
    edited December 1969

I was thinking if you wanted to use smart content you need DIM and manifests in folder with content manager running using Valentina not Postgre for its database
    manually installing you can use everything Poser legacy from your content library and import duf via file

Thank you for all the responses.
    Sorry, all of this is very new to me: what exactly is this Valentia or Postgre options, and where does one find these options?

The Poser legacy I assume would be the additional "...PoserCF" zip files?, but I noticed they are very small.

And a few you you mentioned the Manifest file -- what is it for exactly?

Thank you all.

edited December 1969

No you do not need Poser companion files used with DSON as they do not work in Carrara
    legacy is the old runtime cr2, pp2, pz2 files which are still the best format IMO but not often supported sadly.
    Smart content uses content manager, a program that uses a database only Valentina works with C8.5 I think Postgre does with the current beta.
    You need it running to use duf files in Carrara 8.5 even without smartcontent, it should be in the DIM download or DAZ studio essentials, I am unsure
    Dartanbeck might be able to answer better or one of the others, I am not so cluey just know I need it or stuff does not load I get a weird error.

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    I never use DIM to install, I always install manually. It works fine as long as you put things in the right folder (just open the zip and see what folder it's designed to go into).

Most carrara content will go into C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\Carrara8.5\Presets

Of course Daz and Poser content can go into whatever file structure you have setup for them, then once Carrara is started up it's just a matter of adding the poser runtimes to your content tab.

I Noticed that some of the content included, besides the Runtime folder, additional folders such as "Data" and "People". I assume this type of format won't work with normal Runtime folders, and that one can only install it to Carrara's Presets folder?

Thanks

edited December 1969

Those are DAZ studio formats and what Genesis and Genesis2 male and female etc use and what you need content manager for.
    They are in .duf format that C8.5 will import.

edited December 1969

You install it under "my Library"
    not in the carrara folder
    one folder above runtime

edited December 1969

If your runtime folder is in a folder called content, change the name to my library or in my case I have another called "not my DAZ library!!" with Rendo and Smithmicro stuff, as this will prove less confusing and less likely to lead to nested content.
    Always add from the folder with runtime in it when adding content.

edited December 1969

Thank you Wendy for the useful tips. So I assume the *duf format will not open in Poser. Does this mean that the Genesis content is for Daz Studio only?

edited February 2015

Poser uses DSON
    you can use Dimenson3D's script to open duf as DSON

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

Thanks, that is good news.