Scifi Funk Carrara Animation Project and Tutorials

Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi,

I hope it's ok to post such a message. As long time members of this board will know I've posted a lot of Carrara and animation tutorials here in the past. I plan to do more as well.

Full list of 3d Animation Tutorials:-
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL511383E90B92CC0E

Full list of 3d modelling (mainly kitbashing) Tutorials:-
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtFTjNxT9staCgMiZ6VigNJFrus8bSjgi

These tutorials come out of sharing my journey (since 2010!) of trying to make an animated film single handedly from having no prior experience in this field. Thanks to members on here and other notable sites I've been able to make pretty rapid progress, passing on my knowledge along the way.

The latest version of the film can be viewed here.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7CED8E0AE0E9CE07

I'm now at a stage in the project where we are going on Kickstarter in order to make some of the episodes. At this stage I can afford to make new episodes but not bring any more of the older ones up to scratch (Created in Carrara, rendered via the Octane plug in).

If you want to see me and the Kickstarter video Please take a look here.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/scififunk/cyberpunk-dystopia-scififunk-5

I'd be grateful if you could spread the word. I'm optimistic about completing the project and would love to re-make the rest of those earlier episodes.

Cheers!

Steve

Episode_5_re-render_KICKSTARTER_shot_000000.jpeg
1920 x 1080 - 203K

Comments

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

I'm a longtime fan of your work, and have learned tons from your tutorials, very happy to have them all gathered in one link (saving this thread to my favorites).

Very happy to hear you're getting near completion - congratulations! :)

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
    edited February 2015

Jonstark said:
    I'm a longtime fan of your work, and have learned tons from your tutorials, very happy to have them all gathered in one link (saving this thread to my favorites).

Very happy to hear you're getting near completion - congratulations! :)

Thanks man.

I'm not near completion, I'm at the point where you should see a LOT more completed episodes from me in the next year (as the ground work is complete).

However I'm going out on Kickstarter to see if some of the expenses for these can be covered, or at least raise awareness of the project. (Everyone likes to have their work seen).

Cheers Jon!

Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Whoops, misunderstood, but still it sounds like you've settled into a (relatively) quick workflow with Octane now, so like you mentioned hopefully the episodes will start pouring out fast and furious :)

I'm barely getting started with baby steps on animating, and your tutorials have been invaluable for me. I was blown away by the one that showed how to use a bvh walk cycle for the lower half and use standard poses for the upper half, and combine to make totally believable animation together (as an example).

edited December 1969

Glad I could help. :)

I would think that the newer tutorials will cover getting fast frames out of OCTANE on a low budget, and how to manage your project overall to get (acceptable) results fast. This is where I am at right now.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

i been enjoying your carrara tutes.

thank you so much for making them. :)

edited December 1969

i been enjoying your carrara tutes.

thank you so much for making them. :)

Thanks for saying.

Actually perhaps If I do a series on using parts of BVH / mocap files to get your animations off to a flying start that might be useful. This is what I've been focusing on today.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

more tips on lighting would be kewl :cheese:

saw the tip where you dropped a 3 point light set on a character to follow him around.

edited December 1969

more tips on lighting would be kewl :cheese:

saw the tip where you dropped a 3 point light set on a character to follow him around.

Ah yes. I discovered that during episode 6 (now merged into episode 5).

That was a real turning point. In fact 3 point lighting itself makes a huge difference even to background objects.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Awesome! I hope that we can get a good following for you on your Kickstarter thing. I'd love to see you get financial support for your endeavors!

edited December 1969

Awesome! I hope that we can get a good following for you on your Kickstarter thing. I'd love to see you get financial support for your endeavors!

Many thanks Dartan. It's also a way of spreading the word. This year I'm going to learn more about the industry and just get out there and meet people. Plus I'm going to be doing a series on rapid animation. I'm working on this right now, simultaneously animating episodes 11-14!!