Iray Render Denoised + Non Denoised

hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
edited October 2021 in Product Suggestions

Hi,

With a noise degrain properly configured, one can get excellent results with a soft denoise option kicking in after a given amount of Max samples (Render Settings > Filetring > Start Iteration).

This being said, the render just before the denoiser kicks in has a grain to it that is not uninteresting.

When I render an image (which takes about 3-4 hours at 4K) and I'm on the computer, what I like doing is screenshots of the render in progress JUST before the denoiser starts. I mount those screenshots in Photshop so that when the denoised render is finished, I have 2 versions of the image, one soft and one cripsy.

Blending those two images, the denoised as a base and the more "grainy" one with a mask, I manage to get really nice results with a bit more crispiness in some areas. Which is : nice.

Could you please consider adding an option that forces DAZ, while rendering : to save a version of the image before the denoiser kicks in. And one more version as usual when the render is finished.

This way one could send a batch of renders using the excellent ManFriday's Render Queue for example. And wake up in the morning with two versions of his renders. Ready to be composited in photoshop to get the best of both versions.

Thanks for considering my request.

Cheers. Hansolocambo.

Post edited by hansolocambo on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,884
    edited October 2021

You could stop the render, File>Save Last Render, then resume (don't use the save options in the render window or it will close). As long as the denoiser is enabled you can switch it off and on, though you have to wait for the next update to see the results change.

Posting here is fine for gathering feedback, but don't forget that actual feature requests need to go to Daz via a support ticket if they are to be seen.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • "You could stop the render"

Thanks Richard ;) But nope : I don't want to sit down for hours everyday waiting for the right moment to manually save a version of the in progress render and then resume.

What I'm talking about is a DAZ Iray render that auto-save a version of the render just before the denoiser kicks in, then keep on rendering to save a second and last version when Max Samples or Converged Ratio is reached.

• Well, as I said you can turn the effect on and off - I'm pretty sure we've been told that whenever the actual denoising starts the end result on a given iteration is the same. So render with the denoiser enabled and let it stop, save that without closing the render window, then toggle the denoiser and render enough extra frames to get the redraw and save that.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited October 2021

All right, I got it. It's a manual process.

[...]"Posting here is fine for gathering feedback, but"

Cool, thanks for the info. Didn't know about that. I'll sure open a ticket about it. Thanks for your always useful feedback.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • This, or Daz Studio Discussions would be ebtter, is for discussing ideas - if you want to make a request to Daz, ideally after discussion, then you need to do it via a support ticket.