Intel Fanboy Switching to AMD after Considering a Mac

2»

Comments

• Nyghtfall3DNyghtfall3D Posts: 760
    edited November 2021

IT'S ALIVE!

Seven years out practice from my last build made working with new tech incredibly challenging, including a Post Code 02 error that kept it from posting after the initial bootup, but I'm excited to write that it's up and running and I'm using it right now.  Corsair's iCUE software even let me configure the RGB for my 7 fans, RAM, and heat pump with the RGB used for Tron: Legacy's logo.  :)

Incidentally, my OCD compelled me to go with 64 GB of RAM instead of 32 because I knew I wanted to upgrade to 64 GB at some point anyway and didn't want leave two DIMMs empty in the meanwhile.

The performance increase in DS is absolutely incredible.  My jaw dropped with how much faster every task is:  Scene loading, figure loading, dForce siimulations, Iray Viewport navigation, render times... The process bar barely even completes half a pass before Iray starts rendering.  It had to make three passes with old rig.

Now all that's left to is to organize the rats nest of cables.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I'm only using one of my two 1080 Ti's.  I decided not to put the other one in because there was only a couple or three centimeters of space between both in my last build.  My new mobo doesn't provide any better spacing and I don't think that was helping their fans keep them cool, so I'm going to refrain from using dual cards and give the other one to a friend of mine who decided to upgrade his PC with the same parts.  Also, I never used my 4770K with my dual 1080 Ti's in my last build but I'm using my new Ryzen with my single 1080 Ti in this build.

Post edited by Nyghtfall3D on
  • Nyghtfall3DNyghtfall3D Posts: 760
    edited November 2021

Last update for this thread.  Thanks for reading!

I.  Am an idiot.  An out of touch idiot, but an iidiot nonetheless.

My new motherboard was designed to accomodate two GPUs with plenty of room for airflow.  Thankfully, my friend said my second GPU is more power than he needs so both GPUs are in my new PC now with a 1.75" gap betweent them and 1.5" gap between the bottom GPU and PSU shroud.

So.  These are my new specs.  Everything with an asterisk is brand new:

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X CPU *
    ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming Mobo *
    ASUS ROG Thor 850W Gaming PSU *
    Corsair iCUE RGB H150i Elite Capellix AIO Cooler *
    Corsair iCUE RGB SP120 Single (exhaust) Fan *
    Corsair iCUE RGB 5000X Case *
    Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64 GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM *
    EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti x2
    SAMSUNG 860 Pro 512 GB SSD (Boot)
    SAMSUNG 860 Pro 1 TB SSD x2 (Storage)
    BenQ PD32OU 32-inch 4K Monitor

I am so happy I built this instead of buying an M1 Mac Mini.  Windows isn't perfect but I'm familiar with it and I get to keep enjoying the freedom of maintaining my workstation with parts from brands that best suit my needs.

Post edited by Nyghtfall3D on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,589
    edited November 2021

...update on my upgrade as well. Since apparently all the new "i series" Intel CPUs are only dual channel may as well move to AMD then for faster clock speed and higher core count Dave's a couple hundred over the previous specs and it includes an M2 SSD for the boot drive.

• CPU:  AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor
    • CPU Cooler  Cooler Master Hyper 212X Dual Fan 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler
    • Motherboard:  Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard
    • Memory:  Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory 
    • Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Total around 1,091$ and change

Does not include the cost for W11 Pro (Newegg has OEMs for 169$).

This leaves 2 DIMM slots open for a memory upgrade to 128 GB when I can afford and need it.  Yeah not totally "state of the art" (as I mentioned earlier DDR5 memory is about twice the cost of DDR4) but all components work with W11.. 

Everything else RTX 3060 (which I just received) PSU, SSD Content library drive, storage HDD, and case all from the current system. 

...bugger this is getting annoying, been having issues all day with bad gateway and gateway timeout errors messing things up.  Just had 5th one occur within the last hour.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,983
    edited November 2021

kyoto kid said:

...update on my upgrade as well. Since apparently all the new "i series" Intel CPUs are only dual channel may as well move to AMD then for faster clock speed and higher core count Dave's a couple hundred over the previous specs and it includes an M2 SSD for the boot drive.

• CPU:  AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor
    • CPU Cooler  Cooler Master Hyper 212X Dual Fan 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler
    • Motherboard:  Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard
    • Memory:  Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory 
    • Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Total around 1,091$ and change

Does not include the cost for W11 Pro (Newegg has OEMs for 169$).

This leaves 2 DIMM slots open for a memory upgrade to 128 GB when I can afford and need it.  Yeah not totally "state of the art" (as I mentioned earlier DDR5 memory is about twice the cost of DDR4) but all components work with W11.. 

Everything else RTX 3060 (which I just received) PSU, SSD Content library drive, storage HDD, and case all from the current system. 

...bugger this is getting annoying, been having issues all day with bad gateway and gateway timeout errors messing things up.  Just had 5th one occur within the last hour.

Looks like a good system and will last for a long time, you will love the 3060 it is good for the price and has stacks of vram.. smiley I see going with Win 11 hopefully AMD and Microsoft have finally got the issues with AMD CPU's sorted out.. Either way I bet you will be one happy camper with that setup.. laugh

I myself will be keeping an eye on Intels Alderlake and later CPU's to see how they go, or AMD's AM5 CPU's and see what comes with them..  One thing Alderlake will use DDR 4 it all depends on the motherboard..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,503

From what I have read, the new chipsets and processors for the Intel HEDT platform are still about a year in to the future.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,589

...I considered Series 9 5900 X but that adds another 100$ to the cost.  I am going with the full rtail version of W11 which does cost more than an OEM so I can transfer it should I need to replace the MB and I get full MS support.