XYZ Transforms not working on some objects?

eponicaeponica Posts: 197
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi again, O kind Carrara folks ^_^; You know by now that when I show up here I have got myself stuck again! :)

Once in awhile I notice some trouble when trying to arrange objects in a scene. I will get a figure or prop which can't be moved with the universal tool; when I use the Motion controls in the Properties tray, it will move, but sometimes unpredictably.

My latest issue with this is particularly daunting. I am setting up a pretty complex scene. The problem is a LoRez character exported from DS as a static object. There are two figures in a room with another character who is sick in bed. I wanted a no-fuss dynamic blanket on the sick character, and I don't yet know how to do cloth in Carrara, so I set up that character in a bed in DS, draped them with the Optitex dynamic quilt, textured it, converted the character, bed and quilt to .obj and then imported them into Carrara. In Carrara I opened the corresponding DS scene file, saved out the textures I wanted in the Shaders tray, then applied them to my imported objects. I then saved all the items together as one object in My Objects to use in whatever future scenes. Maybe this is a roundabout way for me to set this up, :) but it seemed to work fine until I loaded the saved Carrara character from the Objects tray into the main scene and went to move it into place.

Basically, it is stuck in the scene at the spot where it loaded. I can get the object to move using the Motion Properties, but the rotation especially is unpredictable. If I keep trying to move it like this I will be a couple of days getting the character situated properly. ^^; I notice I am having trouble rotating the character properly around its axis and this indicates to me the problem might have to do something with the axis or hot point. I did center the hot point, but still no luck moving the character.

So... Can anyone tell me what I did to lock things up...?? Does it have anything to do with my grouping and saving multiple DS objects as a single item in the Object tray? I just know this is something I did... :P

Comments

• eponicaeponica Posts: 197
    edited February 2015

Hmm... Unparented the bed from the character obj, then clicked "promote to master" and that unlocked the bed part anyway... Interesting... :)

Post edited by eponica on
    edited December 1969

OK... That worked for all of it! Yay! Problem solved! :D

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Glad you solved your issue - even before I read this thread!

Fyi, you can do cloth blanket on a character really fairly easily in Carrara. But if you're already comfortable with Studio and Optitex, there's no wrong answer :)

edited December 1969

Thanks, Jonstark! I will get the Carrara cloth figured out soon :-)