Octane for Carrara , Unfrequently asked questions

protovuprotovu Posts: 194
edited February 2015 in Carrara Discussion

Tried to post this earlier. Not seeing it now, so please forgive if it shows twice.....

I am getting ready to take an Octane plunge here. Just upgraded the graphic card.

I could use a few answers to the following, please:

Is the live Database available with the Octane demo? I can't seem to figure out where or how on that, even though my account is activated.

Can we animate shaders in Octane?
Using operators, I often need to animate between two or more texture maps in either the color or alpha channels.
Really would like to test this before buying.

Can layers be drawn on objects in shaders, as with Carrara?
Can the content and placement of these layers be animated, as with Carrara? image attached regarding this.

I am not seeing keyframes being generated regarding the camera focus point. What camera functions are keyframed in Octane for Carrara?

When I look at the Octane demo render window, I see that my Carrara lights do not function. What if I want a spot light, or the like?

Finally, are particle emitters behaving well in with Octane for C?

Any guidance really appreciated,
Rick

octane_shader_question.png
1325 x 1257 - 516K
Post edited by protovu on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,039
    edited December 1969

yes in latest Beta builds the live database is active, link on top thread of Otoy carrara forum
    I have not gotten shaders to animate but backgrounds do and the lighting from them
    not sure about layers but sort of doubt it, most procedurals fail
    Dunno about camera focus
    no you need shader emitters
    objects with shaders on them similar to like anything glows works but easier, you just add blackbody or texture to emission in an octane shader
    particles using objects work not metaballs

• protovuprotovu Posts: 194
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Wendy.

I am not seeing a link to the live DB. Perhaps because I am on the demo?

Kind of disappointed regarding Particles. Carrara is crashing, metaballs or not every time I try Octane.

My Octane demo is 2.06.

When I try to download the later beta, I end up on the stand-alone, not Carrara Octane link.

My video card driver is up to date.

Ideas?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,039
    edited December 1969

http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=44896
    download from the link in this post
    can still run as demo, just unzip and run installer do not need to uninstall other.