The Steel Bird : out of a legend (ready for release) [Commercial]

3djoji3djoji Posts: 1,075
edited February 2015 in Daz PA Commercial Products

This one is ready for release, expecting a launch date.

03-SteelBird-daz3D.jpg
1300 x 1000 - 277K
02-SteelBird-daz3D.jpg
1300 x 1000 - 191K
01-SteelBird-daz3D.jpg
1300 x 1000 - 286K
Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,328
    edited December 1969

I've been waiting for this. Just hope it doesn't get diverted, and that the zips don't end up in Ulan Bator.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Breakfast in New York; supper in London; luggage in Timbuktu... ;-)

Forgot to ask in the other thread, what is there in the way of interior detail? Cockpit, passenger cabin, cargo fittings?

• 3djoji3djoji Posts: 1,075
    edited February 2015

Breakfast in New York; supper in London; luggage in Timbuktu... ;-)

Forgot to ask in the other thread, what is there in the way of interior detail? Cockpit, passenger cabin, cargo fittings?

Even if the door passagers opens it ends on an empty little corridor. Same for the pilot area, even the lateral windows can be masked, you get nothing more than an empty shaded box for the Cockpit. This was done to limit the polys count. No interior detail was foreseen for this part of the design, I think it will be nice to draw another complementary item for that, the main cabin and the pilots area, with nice details etc.

Post edited by 3djoji on
  • SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

I was talking to my husband that I wouldn't mind seeing some more airplanes!
    Mindreading skills :D

• R25SR25S Posts: 595
    edited March 2015

Very cool - I like the Dakota.
    It looks very great in renders... this is one I did this morning https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/59113

Hopefully their will be some other Textures.... I would like see one in metal silver style (like it will be shown in some Movies and Photographs).

Post edited by R25S on
  • That Other PersonaThat Other Persona Posts: 381
    edited March 2015

Nice plane, I might get it one day, especially if there is an interior for it.

I did buy the Little Aviators. Perfect!

I love 3djoji's work, especially for the Toon Gen characters. I am hoping more are coming... restaurant (waiter, waitress, chef), police officers, fire fighters, many other possibilities! I can imagine some of the great promo images now!

Post edited by That Other Persona on
  • wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    edited March 2015

Oh sure, they're a great plane, until a wheel falls off, the engine catches fire and the hatch blows away. ;)
    Two more great products, well-done!
    -- Walt Sterdan

SilverBirdRescue-00.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 139K
    Post edited by wsterdan on
  • wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    edited December 1969

I love 3djoji's work, especially for the Toon Gen characters. I am hoping more are coming... restaurant (waiter, waitress, chef), police officers, fire fighters, many other possibilities! I can imagine some of the great promo images now!

Agreed, his stuff is always top-notch; even most of his "toon" stuff is more realistic than some people's non-toon stuff.
    I hope to see lots more in the future.
    -- Walt Sterdan
  • 3djoji3djoji Posts: 1,075
    edited March 2015

wsterdan said:
    Oh sure, they're a great plane, until a wheel falls off, the engine catches fire and the foo blows away. ;)
    Two more great products, well-done!
    -- Walt Sterdan

Nice idea, Toonsuper man is there to save my modest work from crash, So sorry you get a model with the wheel unscrewed, perheaps complain to get a screwed one ;) . Love the idea to mix toon and real world and also the one looking through the opened door of the plane. Thanks for sharing!

Post edited by 3djoji on
  • ToBoldlyGoToBoldlyGo Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

I was just thinking of the need for a plane like this, but a lack of interior is a serious issue for me.

3djoji said:
    [ I think it will be nice to draw another complementary item for that, the main cabin and the pilots area, with nice details etc.

Yes, please do. The alternative for those who need both exterior and interior seems (after some googling) to be to use some other cockpit model (for example, Poserworks has a transport with a similar-but-different control layout on 'squid; but I think the rest of the plane is different enough to show), or try to cobble something together with found parts, or make their own from scratch. Movable controls would be a plus (wheels, levers, etc.)

Some reference material, I'm sure there's more out there:

DC-3 Cabin Interior Catalog
    http://www.dc3pub.com/filename40.html

Instruments
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:N34---Douglas-DC3-Cockpit.jpg

Not an interior reference, but a possible variants you could release separately (3 miniguns!):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_C-47_Skytrain
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_AC-47_Spooky

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,255
    edited December 1969

Luke A had an airline interior set over on Rendo some yonks ago. Don't know whether it's gone clearance/disappearance by now, but worth checking. And I think he's still a vendor there (or on RDNA) so one could email a question. Don't remember whether the scale would work with this one's exterior, though.

2nd World also has some airport stuff and may have an airline interior.

• ToBoldlyGoToBoldlyGo Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

It seems to be its own field of study: what the inside of each aircraft should look like. For that era "all the same, but different" seems to sum it up. Everything is similar but moved around, with a bit added here and a bit taken away there.

The Flight Simulator people have to make custom "dashes" for each aircraft design for each program, this would be something similar for the 3D mesh world. Thinking about it, I wonder if some sort of modular system could be worked out to "craft" custom instrument panels from various pieces, resizing/texturing as needed. I'm not sure how the part about mounting them to the panel would work. I suppose as long as everything is a bit above the surface it would work (i.e., holes wouldn't be needed) and working out some sort of morphing system to fit different shape and size panels would be where to concentrate. Animated/controllable gauges would be great too, as would be moving levers. And don't forget the seat belts. This could either be released as a stand-alone product for users or kept behind the scenes to craft releases with. It would take some study, of course, and in theory could be expanded to other parts of the plane (seats, panels, windows, doors, etc.). Actually several products might be here, accounting for different eras and types of planes (fighter vs transport vs small aircraft, for example).

Variety, versatility, and quality would be key here, though I'm sure purist's would still turn up their nose if things aren't 100% accurate for every plane. As for me, "close enough for jazz" is how I look at it (i.e., what will fool all but experts and get the job done is enough).

In any case, 3djoji has crafted a great model, and I look forward to what he will do in the future.

• leoyu0213leoyu0213 Posts: 13
    edited December 1969

Nice renders. Thanks for uploading.