Losing my leaves

TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I had this brilliant (!) idea of copying my current Carrara project across to my laptop, so I can have a render going there while working on other things on my main machine etc. Everything is contained in a single folder, so it should be easy - or so I thought.

My project loaded in Carrara without a murmur and I kicked off the render. When I looked at the result I could see something wasn't quite right, and on closer inspection I could see that all the trees were sporting default "leaf" instead of my exquisitely crafted custom jobbies.

So I went into the tree editor and reloaded the leaves (the leaves are .car files, also in the same folder). Rerendered the scene and everything was fine.

As an experiment, I saved the project under a new name and copied it back to the main Mac. Sure enough, when I opened it, the trees had lost their custom leaves again.

So my question is, how can I transfer projects between machines without losing my custom leaves?

and a supplementary question, what else might I be losing without realising it?

Ta :)

Comments

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited February 2015

Distracting reply - edited

Post edited by Design Acrobat on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

Thanks, but this is not export, this is just copying the project to another machine and opening it in Carrara...

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

maybe, save the file with all internal?

edited December 1969

The leaves already had their shaders set to internal textures, but I'll give that a go after dinner.

• FenricFenric Posts: 351
    edited December 1969

Leaves are stored in the "Data" subdirectory of the Carrara application itself.

edited December 1969

Ah, so they need to be copied and installed separately? (I'm on a Mac, so this involves going down the "Browse package contents" route)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    Ah, so they need to be copied and installed separately? (I'm on a Mac, so this involves going down the "Browse package contents" route)

Yup. The leaves will need to be on the other computer as well, and you will need to do the Package Content thing. I'm kind of surprised Carrara didn't throw open a dialogue letting you know it couldn't find the leaves and telling you it was substituting this or that leaf, and asking if it was okay. It does when I render over a network and forget to copy over the custom leaves to the nodes.

edited December 1969

Yay, that did the job! Thanks chaps :)