Light Smart Sampling

stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 517
edited February 2015 in Carrara Discussion

Hi,

Concerning "Anything Glows"

With ref to "Carrara User Guide(PDF)" page 494:-
------------------------
"Tips and Tricks.

• Use Light Smart Sampling on your render settings. Anything Glows is about three times faster
with Light Smart Sampling on and most of the time you won't be able to tell the difference in the
resulting image.
------------------------

I am unable to find such a setting option (currently using C8.1.1.12 pro). As it been moved/removed, or am I just having another extended elderly moment?

Post edited by stem_athome on

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited February 2015

Hi,

Concerning "Anything Glows"

With ref to "Carrara User Guide(PDF)" page 494:-
    ------------------------
    "Tips and Tricks.

• Use Light Smart Sampling on your render settings. Anything Glows is about three times faster
    with Light Smart Sampling on and most of the time you won't be able to tell the difference in the
    resulting image.
    ------------------------

I am unable to find such a setting option (currently using C8.1.1.12 pro). As it been moved/removed, or am I just having another extended elderly moment?

You know, I saw that as well recently, and I did a document search and that was the only reference to it. I also noticed the interface looked a bit odd in screen captures in that section. I kind of wondered if it was an earlier version of Carrara and the terminology or technology changed and the reference was to the legacy function that was changed or eliminated, and that maybe the manual's proof readers missed it.

Another reason that thought entered my mind, is that in C7.2 Pro (and maybe later) there is the, Shadows Compatibility Mode, checkbox, in the Render room. I remember in the old forums, that someone asked what it was for and the response (can't remember who responded) was that something changed with how the lights worked in C7 (or maybe C6) and the checkbox allowed you to render scenes created in earlier versions of Carrara- for some reason C5 and earlier keeps coming to mind. Maybe it was how Carrara handled soft shadows? That also keeps nagging at me when I try and remember the discussion.

Anyway, it sounds from the reference in the manual, especially, "Anything Glows is about three times faster with Light Smart Sampling on and most of the time you won't be able to tell the difference in the resulting image." This suggests to me that it is some sort of shortcut meant to speed up renders, but is it in the Render room or in the light controls? Either way, if it is a legacy term that creeped into the C7 manual, then perhaps it was replaced with newer technology or re-named.

All speculation of course, but it is a mystery...

Picture_1.png
    281 x 357 - 44K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 517
    edited December 1969

I did find my backup of C6 pro installer (first Carrara version I have license for), and installed that to check. But render room/Anything glow settings/options are the same. So I presume it is some setting in C5 or before (as you mention).

Not a problem, it is nothing more than curiosity on my part.

Thank you for checking / replying.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

had me looking too, only reference I can find is here from circa 2001 ? http://www.computer-music.com/graphic/carrara01.htm never say our manual isn't up to date, well kind of.......

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 517
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    .....only reference I can find is here from circa 2001 ?...........

Thank you for searching and finding that.

That article states "I turned off light smart sampling and used the full Raytracer."

That makes me think that "Light smart sampling" = "Hybrid Ray Tracing" (Carrara default).