How to fix a skirt for final pose?

lord Adamlord Adam Posts: 125
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hello guys!
I've got problem with skirt for Vici 4.2(as you see on the picture below hair works fine). How to fix any part of the clothes for final pose?
By the way... is it noraml that CARRARA PRO 8.5 crashes a few times durring saving a single model/simple scene without background?( Car. Pro 8 was much better than this version I think(:).

Emily_4_for_carrara.jpg
1502 x 1085 - 165K

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

It looks as if the dress is not conformed to the figure. Select the dress in the Instances Palette and then in the dress's General tab, under Misc, you should see a pull down menu. Select the figure and the dress should conform. You may need to adjust the dress with any provided fix morphs to correct poke-through, and use the handles on the dress to adjust the lower dress to fit the legs.

As to the crashing, is it just this scene?

Picture_3.png
    282 x 742 - 68K
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

A crash with a simple figure, it is very strange…
    In a case like this one, you can make invisible the legs (and all parts of the body under clothing).
    Personally, I'm not aggling with these problems, when they are parts of the body which are partially visible, I modify the vertexes of the character.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

if it's one of those skirts with body handles, well, in poser you'd use the body handles to fix it.

but C85 has soft body physics. :cheese:

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

By looking at the image, I believe that EP is right, clothing is not linked with V4.
    Perhaps this clothing is intended for another character ?
    In all the cases, it's preferable to load a clothing with the character in T pose.

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited December 1969

Hi there. A DS user relatively new to Carrara, practicing. I have a similar question on saving a simple test scene with Genesis and a clothing "model".

I made a dress in ZBrush, rigged it in DS. From Carrara I loaded the dress Figure Asset. Fit to a morphed V5+BFM shape Genesis. All good. Then I decided it's time I learn soft physics on dresses. I reloaded a fresh dress file, no fit to this time, deleted the skeleton, ungrouped the dress's geometry bit. So the scene is left with only Genesis + a dress geometry, which is probably considered a Carrara "vertex object". I saved the scene as a car file. It took VERY long.

I was like, hm. Granted the dress is high poly-ish at 22k, but still. I remove/consolidate etc etc, saved the scene again, still took forever, near-crash freezing. I then exported the dress into an obj, then reimported it. Deleted the first dress vertex object, saved the scene. Now the save is fast like normal.

IS this normal saving time for a Carrara vertex object? Is this why people always export to obj and reimport obj?

Or is there some kind of peculiar Carrara behavior of handling basic (as in weight-less, unattached) geometry that I need to be aware of?

Thanks for any clue...

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

That method of loading the dress and then stripping the rig sounds as if there is other stuff going on. It is vertex modeled object, but somehow it would seem as if there is something else Genesis related left behind. I can't test it though as I don't have a version of Carrara that can use Genesis.

When you imported the dress from Z-Brush to rig in D|S, what was the file format? If you're interested in using it for a soft body, then you may not want a rig for it. If Z-brush outputted a .obj file for D|S, then there should be no reason not to load it directly into Carrara.

As to the whole softbody and cloth sims thing, have you seen this recent discussion? It could prove very useful to you.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/49954/

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited December 1969

That method of loading the dress and then stripping the rig sounds as if there is other stuff going on. It is vertex modeled object, but somehow it would seem as if there is something else Genesis related left behind. I can't test it though as I don't have a version of Carrara that can use Genesis.

When you imported the dress from Z-Brush to rig in D|S, what was the file format? If you're interested in using it for a soft body, then you may not want a rig for it. If Z-brush outputted a .obj file for D|S, then there should be no reason not to load it directly into Carrara.

As to the whole softbody and cloth sims thing, have you seen this recent discussion? It could prove very useful to you.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/49954/

EP thanks for responding. Yeah I suspect Carrara still retain some phantom data on the stripped dress geometry.

I was using the typical DS GoZ ZB route, so file format should be Obj pre-rigging. But since it's already saved as a DUF it should contain no traces of Zbrush Obj? I still have info holes on DS Genesis content system.

I saw that soft clothing thread yes, will dig deeper into it once the most efficient Genesis clothing pipeline is established. The end goal is to have Genesis-based dynamic clothing in Carrara via the simplest route.

First I need to grasp the basic concepts of how all this Triax/ non-Traix + Smoothing + Fit To translate in Carrara.
    As is, am still not sure if it's even possible to apply 'soft clothing attach' to Fit-To Genesis clothing.
    Also will DS Rigidity map transfer over.

Right now DS-ZB-DS-CARR feels kinda convoluted, but my limited understanding is, it's necessary for conforming zero-dynamic clothing to Genesis in Carrara.

For soft clothing, I will probably end up go ZB-CARR and bypass DS altogether for soft clothing. Need to work out how relative import scale works too, as well as Carrara GoZ.

Trying not to scramble my brain as I juggle all these variables...

Thanks again...

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

Just having a Genesis in the scene will make Carrara take a long time to save it. You can speed it up considerably by turning off file compression. You should also perform a Delete unused objects/shaders/consolidate duplicate shaders cycle to get rid of any junk still hanging around in memory.