bending steel

For our super hero's

Can we have some massive steel and such products that super hero's can use for bending and de forming with their pure strength

Comments

• You could ask your superheroes to make do with a cube promitive, with several divisions, strateched with scaling and then bent with a dForm.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,065
    edited November 2021

It is possible to do yourself. Bending of a simply supported beam:

For steel, using units of mm, E = 207 x 10^3. The second moment of area, I, may be calculated using widely available formulae. For a rectangular section I = width x depth^3/12

Regards,

Richard

Temp.jpg
    658 x 396 - 28K
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • felisfelis Posts: 3,657

I imagine it was more along this.

Bend.png
    1300 x 731 - 682K
  • efron_24efron_24 Posts: 473

yes felis.. thanks .. how does one do that with dAZ

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

efron_24 said:

You would need to rig it with a skeleton. 

• felisfelis Posts: 3,657

efron_24 said:

I created the steel bar in blender.

Richard suggested that you might do it with a primitive with enough divisions and some D-formers. That might worh, but I found that too cluncy. 

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,566
    edited November 2021

efron_24 said:

if you don't want to use an external modeling app, the quickest way would be a dformer. Create a primitive from the create menu, then add a dformer to it and play with the settings

dform2.jpg
    1409 x 758 - 158K
    dform1.jpg
    1409 x 758 - 130K
    Post edited by FSMCDesigns on
  • Must admit I was pulling a leg there and didn't expect the formulae to be used... Those formulae were how I created the realistic deflections to go with the Parallel Bars prop I did over on Rendo  (Flex visible here: https://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/items/89683/g8m-parallel-bars-poses-06-to-10) and I used a spreadsheet to calculate 35 sets of deflections for each of 10 different morphs, then applied them to the original bars model (in a 3D modeller I wrote in C++ from scratch). As a result of using the real formulae with real stiffness & flex properties on the wooden bars, the bars look moderately realistic.

I think I'd use a dFormer if staying within DS, but I don't think I would stay in DS. There are much better tools to use. If I could, I'd use blender. As I can't use Blender on my machine due to AV software getting hysterical & I can't get on with Hexagon, I tend to use SolidWorks & a translator I wrote to go from STL to OBJ, then specify surfaces in my modeller & texture map in 'UV Mapper'.

Regards,

Richard

• efron_24efron_24 Posts: 473

thanks.. will search for dformer... It will be in the menu I think ?

• For round or square section steel bars, you could use one of these freebies: https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts/flexithings