DollBytes' Dump

DollBytesDollBytes Posts: 4
edited November 2021 in Art Studio

hiya, i'm a 3D art and game development student who started experimenting with 3D modeling/texturing last year. i'm hoping to get into full 3D character design, modeling, and rendering. when i'm not doing 3D stuff i also do 2D art, prose writing, photography, and music composition/production. i have a webcomic in the works and i also want to become a published author. trying desperately to become self-employed since mental and physical disability make conventional employment a nightmare.

i'm mostly new to DAZ but i'm having some fun now that i'm getting the hang of things. most of my work will probably feature original characters and fantasy/horror themes. gentle constructive criticism is welcome but just as a warning, i'm a bit of a sensitive baby.

to start, here are the two renders i've done in the past two days of an original character of mine, rae. both edited in PS after rendering.

( gallery link )

( gallery link )

Post edited by DollBytes on

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380

Those are quite good for just starting out. What apps are you using to model and what kind of stuff are you modeling? 

• DollBytesDollBytes Posts: 4
    edited November 2021

frank0314 said:

Those are quite good for just starting out. What apps are you using to model and what kind of stuff are you modeling? 

thank you! technically i've done like...4 renders before this but none of them were good. it's the skin textures and lighting/render presets i used for the most part.

i started out using marvelous designer but i've since transitioned to trying to do stuff in blender, which i've made two "pieces" thus far in. i use substance painter for texturing. so far i've only made clothes and a small handful of accessories. i have my stuff up on artstation (all i've done so far are not-so-lore-friendly skyrim mods, lol) though there's not a lot to see just yet.

• NinefoldNinefold Posts: 256

I agree, very strong for such early work! Your background in 2D art and photography shows -- those skills (composition, color theory, post processing, etc) help a LOT when you jump into 3D.

Since you're also using modeling software, you might consider using it to fix clipping, such as on the hair in the first image. If the hair flowed around your character's hand instead of through it, it would add some extra verisimilitude.

Keep up the great work!

• DollBytesDollBytes Posts: 4
    edited December 2021

Sleep Architecture said:

I agree, very strong for such early work! Your background in 2D art and photography shows -- those skills (composition, color theory, post processing, etc) help a LOT when you jump into 3D.

Since you're also using modeling software, you might consider using it to fix clipping, such as on the hair in the first image. If the hair flowed around your character's hand instead of through it, it would add some extra verisimilitude.

Keep up the great work!

( earlier renders removed for undisclosed reasons )

thank you very much! i'm unsure how to go about doing something like that atm but maybe as i learn daz + modeling i'll be able to be more flexible.

since i'm "starting over" again (don't ask) here is my latest piece. another OC but he's still a work in progress.

( gallery link )