Optimal hardware

YofielYofiel Posts: 204
edited November 2021 in Carrara Discussion

Just to note on my prior thread about upgrading, my Nvidiia 3060 arrived, for which I paid the outrageous calling price of $700, which is $100 more than the Recommended retail price of the 3080. However the 3080 is selling for $2000, unless one drives to a Best Buy and stands in line all night, and I reckoned the 3060 would be enough, besides which, it is the only card in the 3000 series with 12GB of VRAM, which game players and reviewers unilaterally consider a waste, and would rather have a faster GPU. Whatever the value of their opinions to CGI artists, Ive been very pleased with the purchase, although it will probably halve in price over the next year, and the 3080 should be available for about the same amount in 2023; I reckoned the extra scalper money was worth it to me, although many would not be so exorbitant. And I'd have to say, for Carrara the 3060 is MORE THAN ENOUGH. lol.  I hardly get the fans spinning most the time, but the texture memory really does make a difference over the 4GB in my older 1650 super. 

Post edited by Yofiel on

Comments

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited November 2021

Interesting report, thank you.  We are being scalped here in the UK as the US imports then have 10% duty on top of our VAT !!!  So I was looking at an 'adequate' card to get me through till prices are better.  I will likely be coming to the US next year and perhaps will buy a a 3060. I think I can bring home up to £390 worth of goods duty and tax free. That's about $540 right now.  

The adequate card I was thinking of to replace my failing Quadro K2200 is an Asus Cerberus GTX1050 Ti OC, 4GB DDR5, PCIe3, DVI, HDMI, DP, 1455MHz OC  for £250.00 which is about $345. Not going to get ray tracing for that price, but hoping it will just solve the failure problem.

Just to hold me over.... is it worth it? I would like to hear your comments if you have a minute... and to add that my video card cuts (see screenies in original post) out when just surfing the net, not just using software! 

Here's my original post with set up.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/529136/urgent-need-for-video-card-replacement/p1

Thanks if you have a moment, or anyone who didn't comment on my situation before... I cannot function like this and my former print shop colleagues said my integrated card will not run Photoshop CS6 very well, so getting that re-connected won't help in the meantime.

frown Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,193
    edited November 2021

Like Wendy says, unless you're using an aftermarket render engine, like Octane, higher end GPU will make little difference in Carrara - unless it makes OpenGL that much nicer in the working view.

Carrara doesn't use the GPU for rendering at all. Just the CPU and RAM

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    There is Luxuscore render too, just saying... Free, fast but limited. https://carraracafe.com/luxuscore-for-carrara-plugin-unofficial-manual-2015-02-15/
  • 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    Also have not hade the time to test if ReShade works with Carrara OpenGL renderer. If it does, better previews that can load up the GPUs: https://reshade.me/forum/troubleshooting/5227
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited November 2021

Dartanbeck said:

Like Wendy says, unless you're using an aftermarket render engine, like Octane, higher end GPU will make little difference in Carrara - unless it makes OpenGL that much nicer in the working view.

I know... but the screen still goes BLACK...then I get the NO VIDEO INPUT message, computer shuts off and restarts, no matter what I am doing: modelling, surfing the net, using Photoshop, Word, Excel, no matter. Something is wrong with my video card and it is getting worse. It's not the cables (got new ones way back thinking it was the connections). I even bought a new monitor last spring. It was never just about rendering (when it does manage a render and doesn't shut down, it renders fast with my new build). At first it was using any graphics software, 3D or other.  Now it's during anything all the time with no warning. Upgraded drivers, rolled back drivers. Can't fix it. It's buggered and I need a new one. Off for eye surgery Thurs, so will have to wait now until I can read properly again to research what will give uninterrupted results for doing daily tasks.

crying  Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,189

Dartanbeck said:

To repeat myself, the 12 core/24 thread AMD CPU makes Carrara renders really quick.  Maybe surprising, since I had to upgrade VUE to get support for that, even to a subscription version ... don't tell anybody ... blush 

And my older version of VUE was not as old as Carrara ... Still, I'm pleased with the latest VUE, animation renders are now feasible, for ten seconds a few hours at most instead of a day or more ...