follow a path

JamyJamy Posts: 192
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi,
sorry, but I do not remember how to follow a path with an object to make something like a zipper for example.

image(2).jpg
320 x 237 - 26K
image(1).jpg
1122 x 771 - 106K

Comments

• dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
    edited December 1969

are you thinking of 'copy on support'? tool is in hexagon, no tool in carrara i believe

• JamyJamy Posts: 192
    edited December 1969

dot_bat said:
    are you thinking of 'copy on support'? tool is in hexagon, no tool in carrara i believe

Thank you,

Indeed, I had seen this tool somewhere in Hexagon .........

No other solution with Carrara? :(

• dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
    edited December 1969

i dont think there is anyway in carrara to do the copy on support, 95 % sure. if you have hex why not do it there?

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

I thought that was what path sweep tool did? Don't listen to me though, I'm really bad in the modeling room so probably way off base.

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 517
    edited February 2015

No other solution with Carrara? :(

I think the closest you will get in Carrara, is to extrude your path into a thin surface, then use the "Surface replicator".
    The main downfall is that the distribution along the path cannot be controlled well for what you want. As the spacing options are "Minimal / average", and not an absolute / incremental distance.

---------------------------------

Added material zones along path to force distribution to be even, and that appears to work OK (well, for this quick attempt).

surf_rep.jpg
    784 x 474 - 129K
    Post edited by stem_athome on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited February 2015

I would say that "Copy on a support" in Hexagon would not be the best method for this particular application. That function works by making a replication at each point on a line and it would be a PITA to get the points correctly spaced.

In Hex, the best method for this would be the "Multiple copies" function. Then weld into a single entity and bend using a curve.

In Carrara VM, the equivalent is the "Replicate ->Linear" function. Just as in Hex, you would have to do some messing about to find the sweet spot with offset. It comes to something like dividing the actual offset you want by 12 - something like that!

For a simple curve bend, you can use the "Bend and twist" modifier. For more complex bends, you would have to go unto Hex and use a curve:)

zipper.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 181K
    Post edited by Roygee on