AoA Suburface Toon Shader

IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

I am having some trouble getting the tan line shaders to work.When I apply them to Nidale , her limbs and head are a different color than her torso.(see screenshots).I've tried the shader on all the characters I have with the same result This leads me to think I'm not doing it right :) .

(The render is of "tan string bottom" and "tan string top" applied)

tanline_screenshot.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 380K
tanline_issue.jpg
958 x 881 - 246K

Comments

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited March 2015

First thing to try is setting the Diffuse Strength to the same value, say about 70%. Make sure other values and colors are the same for SubSurface.

Post edited by jestmart on
  • IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114
    edited December 1969

jestmart said:
    First thing to try is setting the Diffuse Strength to the same value, say about 70%. Make sure other values and colors are the same for SubSurface.

Thank you for your reply. I've tried changing the Diffuse strength setting everywhere from 10% to 100% and it's still not working.The colors change , but there is still a huge difference in limbs and torso.I also checked the color and other subsurface settings and all of them are the same.

• GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

Did you try rendering?

Many shaders will look wrong in the preview window but will render correctly.

edited March 2015

Gone said:
    Did you try rendering?

Many shaders will look wrong in the preview window but will render correctly.

yes,, I did about 20 renders, all at different diffuse settings,,let me redo a few of them and I can post them. I probably should have kept them :)

EDIT: Here are a few renders and screenshots of the settings.In each one,,,only the "Diffuse Strength" setting was changed.

diffuse_70.jpg
    757 x 881 - 281K
    diffuse_70_settings.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 447K
    diffuse_15.jpg
    757 x 881 - 269K
    diffuse_15_settings.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 438K
    Post edited by IceCrMn on
    edited December 1969

Ok, try this.

The tan maps are grey (127,127,127) and white. Use a graphics app to create a grey square (127,127,127) and plug that into the diffuse strength channel for all the skin surfaces not covered by the tan map (Nipple,SkinHip, SkinNeck, and SkinTorso). Make sure all the skin channels have the same diffuse strength.

This should even out the skin tones across all the skin maps.

edited December 1969

Gone said:
    Ok, try this.

The tan maps are grey (127,127,127) and white. Use a graphics app to create a grey square (127,127,127) and plug that into the diffuse strength channel for all the skin surfaces not covered by the tan map (Nipple,SkinHip, SkinNeck, and SkinTorso). Make sure all the skin channels have the same diffuse strength.

That worked !! :) Thank you.

new_diffues_map.jpg
    757 x 881 - 216K
    edited December 1969

I assume this means that in order to get the same color results like in the promos that I will have to edit the tan textures to change the colors to match the ones that came with the shader kit? The promo render of the tan shader wasn't this dark grey color.

edited December 1969

Not quite sure what you mean.

With the tan map applied and the square applied to the non tan surfaces, it should just be a matter of setting the diffuse strength. The higher the diffuse strength, the lighter the skin colour.

edited December 1969

This is the one I'm working with
    http://www.daz3d.com/subsurface-toon-shaders

The set comes with several skin colors to choose from.Let's say I want to apply the "Blue Alien Skin" color.Now let's say I want to give my blue alien girl a tan line. The tan line shader is that dark grey color.It would seem I'm restricted to shades of grey if I want to use the tan line shader.

The more I work with this , the more I realize it's not exactly a "click it and it works" type solution.I have lots more learning to do before I become proficient with this one.Thank you for your help,but I think I'll leave this one for another day.It's not very straight forward to work with, and difficult to get results with.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

I think you may get better results if you where to use the tan line images as masks for a simple color layer in LIE and use the Multiplicative blend .

edited December 1969

Thank you for the reply jetsmart. What I could really use is for someone whom uses this shader to please post a recent render of it working and a tutorial on how to they were able to achieve the results shown in the promo renders.I'm not against having to do some assembly myself to get it to work correctly.I just can't seem to find anything on this one.A google search for help actually brings up this post :lol: .I've never used the LIE, so I have no idea how to even start with it.

edited December 1969

Some quick and dirty renders.

The scene is lit with 1 AoA ambient light. The shader is the blue alien toon shader with tan swimsuit.

The first is what happens with default. The other 2 use the grey square on the non tan skin surfaces and all skin surfaces are set to diffuse strength 100% and 200% respectively.

BlueAlien200.jpg
    1112 x 1112 - 220K
    BlueAlien100.jpg
    1112 x 1112 - 219K
    BlueAlienDefault.jpg
    1112 x 1112 - 221K
    edited December 1969

Thank you Gone.,,I see how this works now.It's easier than I thought it was going to be.

GM_test_1.jpg
    817 x 881 - 190K
  • IkyotoIkyoto Posts: 1,159
    edited December 1969

Gone said:
    Ok, try this.

Helpfull to the point where this id=s the irst HTML page here I've ever saved. Thank you.