Problem with Vidal Braids for Genesis 2 Female (part of Monique 6 Pro bundle)

LinkRSLinkRS Posts: 168
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi Everyone,

I purchased both the Monique 6 and Darius 6 Pro bundles yesterday, and have found what seems top be a compatibility problem with Carrara 8.5. I loaded up the Monique 6 character, and then loaded the Vidal Braids for Genesis 2 Female, and other than taking around 5 minutes to load, it seemed fine. I used the various morphs to style it the way I wanted, and then noticed that it was not fit to the figure. So I manually fit it to the figure. This is where the problem occurs. It proceeds to do the fit, and then never finishes and just sits there. I have let it run for over an hour thinking maybe it was just slow, but all it does is continue to consume around 20% CPU and slowly eats memory (up to 3.5 GBs when I finally gave up, started at 2 GBs before the hair). This first happened running the retail version of Carrara 8.5 Pro on a Mac. I then tried it with the public beat build on my Windows PC, and got the same results. So, today I decided to see if I could use Studio to load and fit the hair, and then just import the character into my scene. Well, it has been loading the scene for 45 minutes now, and just eating memory. I expect that the hair is geometry dense, but should it take more than an hour to just load something? Has anybody else seen this issue? Thanks!

Rich S.

Carrara.png
1887 x 354 - 97K

Comments

• LinkRSLinkRS Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

LinkRS said:
    Hi Everyone,

I purchased both the Monique 6 and Darius 6 Pro bundles yesterday, and have found what seems top be a compatibility problem with Carrara 8.5. I loaded up the Monique 6 character, and then loaded the Vidal Braids for Genesis 2 Female, and other than taking around 5 minutes to load, it seemed fine. I used the various morphs to style it the way I wanted, and then noticed that it was not fit to the figure. So I manually fit it to the figure. This is where the problem occurs. It proceeds to do the fit, and then never finishes and just sits there. I have let it run for over an hour thinking maybe it was just slow, but all it does is continue to consume around 20% CPU and slowly eats memory (up to 3.5 GBs when I finally gave up, started at 2 GBs before the hair). This first happened running the retail version of Carrara 8.5 Pro on a Mac. I then tried it with the public beat build on my Windows PC, and got the same results. So, today I decided to see if I could use Studio to load and fit the hair, and then just import the character into my scene. Well, it has been loading the scene for 45 minutes now, and just eating memory. I expect that the hair is geometry dense, but should it take more than an hour to just load something? Has anybody else seen this issue? Thanks!

Rich S.

Update: After loading for about an hour and 10 minutes, CPU use went up to 98% and RAM up to 11 GBs for about 2 minutes, and then it finished loading. Unfortunately, the Vidal Hair is not fit to the figure anymore :-(

Rich S.

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Sorry, I don't have the figures or the hair, so can't help to confirm if there's something wonky going on, though it sounds like it from what you describe. I know there was a prop/figure hair that I have from 3dream that would take for freaking ever to load (but it did eventually load) because of all the morphs, might be a similar issue. I also can't help wondering if there might be a way to make a similar hairstyle using carrara dynamic hair. Naomi did Diversity hair, but those aren't really braids. Something to experiment/tinker with in the future for me (I'm adding it to my gigantic list, I sometimes think I have Carrara ADD and continually jump from one project to the next as my attention wanders). If I pick up the hairstyle in the near future I'll give it a test to see if I can load it and post the results, in the meantime I'm sorry I can't help more, and hopefully someone else will chime in.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,947
    edited March 2015

no carrara does not seem to like that hair fitted
    it just is stuck for me too

just parented it is OK for any figure and probably how I will use it

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    Sorry, I don't have the figures or the hair, so can't help to confirm if there's something wonky going on, though it sounds like it from what you describe. I know there was a prop/figure hair that I have from 3dream that would take for freaking ever to load (but it did eventually load) because of all the morphs, might be a similar issue. I also can't help wondering if there might be a way to make a similar hairstyle using carrara dynamic hair. Naomi did Diversity hair, but those aren't really braids. Something to experiment/tinker with in the future for me (I'm adding it to my gigantic list, I sometimes think I have Carrara ADD and continually jump from one project to the next as my attention wanders). If I pick up the hairstyle in the near future I'll give it a test to see if I can load it and post the results, in the meantime I'm sorry I can't help more, and hopefully someone else will chime in.

Hi JonStark,

Thanks for taking the time to respond :-). One of my personal goals is to use Carrara dynamic hair vices buying pre-built ones, but I am still struggling with it. I have watched a couple of your videos on the topic, and it has given me hope that I too might be able to figure it out sooner or later. However, in the meantime I am still using pre-built hair. This specific hair set did eventually load, it just took a little over an hour to do so. When the hair loads in Studio, the vuport begins to stutter pretty badly, but the finished load has no such issues in Carrara (other than the wait). Thanks again!

V/R

Rich S.

edited December 1969

no carrara does not seem to like that hair fitted
    it just is stuck for me too

just parented it is OK for any figure and probably how I will use it

Hi WendyCatz,

Thanks so much for replying to my post :-). I am a little embarrassed to ask, but how can you parent it vices auto-fit in Carrara? It seems to automatically try and fit it when I drop it on the figure. Thanks!

Rich S.

edited December 1969

Don't want to speak for Wendy, but I think what she means is load the hair as a separate object, not on anything, then use the translate tools to move into position so it's just on top of the character's head in the right place. Then in the instances tray to the right, you can drag and drop the hair onto the 'head' of the character, that way wherever the character moves, the hair will go right along with it, being 'parented' to the head.

edited December 1969

LinkRS said:
    Jonstark said:

Hi JonStark,

Thanks for taking the time to respond :-). One of my personal goals is to use Carrara dynamic hair vices buying pre-built ones, but I am still struggling with it. I have watched a couple of your videos on the topic, and it has given me hope that I too might be able to figure it out sooner or later. However, in the meantime I am still using pre-built hair. This specific hair set did eventually load, it just took a little over an hour to do so. When the hair loads in Studio, the vuport begins to stutter pretty badly, but the finished load has no such issues in Carrara (other than the wait). Thanks again!

V/R

Rich S.

Glad to hear it came up for you :) And hopefully soon I'll have some free dynamic hairstyles ready for your use too. In another thread, I'm trying to work on making a system where any dynamic hair can be used on any figure, still a bit of testing and kinks to work out but hopefully very soon...

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,947
    edited December 1969

yes just load it without the figure selected position it and drag onto the head in scene instances.
    you can sort of conform it by adding target helpers for the left right and back bones to track and parent those to the chest
    I do that with skirt bones and thighs too, the advantage being you can move those target helpers along the timeline independent of the figure when doing an animation giving a more dynamic look. than simply conformed stuff.