Church Dining Area.

Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
edited November 2021 in Art Studio

Hi,

I'm enjoying combining Daz 3d (for characters, scene lighting and rendering), with Carrara (I'm used to it for kit-bashing). I've also got mesh grabber, which is great for hiding little bits in Daz. I prefer to have lighter scenes though - hence the modelling in Carrara (I don't get on with Hexagon).

This is a "Church Dining Area". It's a kit bash of 3 main scenes from the Daz store, plus a couple of the very old woodland realm playsets (circa 2010), plus a few props. It's based on my memories of a local Bible College which was a bit institutional in appearance at the time.

It's my first venture into customising Daz scenes since I moved from Daz to Carrara in 2011. I'm back now - Daz has moved on Carrara is stuck in 2013.

What I'm enjoying with Daz is that the scenes come render ready, so the default lighting is usually good enough. Sometimes I go with an HDRI and a lighting rig, but in this case I wanted it to look like the internal lights were on as the day begins to fade.

It's still a work in progress. I'm currently wrestling with how to add lots of G8 figures to a scene - animated. I may revert to an old idea where they are exported as OBJ files and I put an M3 skeleton on them. That way with a bit of foot adjustment I can use older aniblocks etc - at least for the background characters. I'd like to hear your ideas on this.

I will put three images here, but you can see all the images so far on my gab channel.   https://gab.com/SciFiFunk

s8 Church Dining Area WIP v3 (4).JPG
3358 x 1888 - 2M
s8 Church Dining Area WIP v3 (1).JPG
3358 x 1888 - 2M
s8 Church Dining Area WIP v3 (3).JPG
3358 x 1888 - 2M
Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

You got that church dining room look down pat.

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
    edited November 2021

nonesuch00 said:

You got that church dining room look down pat.

Thanks.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

???

Which church has a dining area?

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,648
    edited November 2021

Ascania said:

???

Protestant churches in my experience. Usually ones that are in the south, they might have sunday pot-lucks, AA meetings, bingo, Bible Study, and other church group events.

To the OP, it looks quite good to me, looks like a church I went to when I was quite young. yes

Post edited by zombietaggerung on

To the OP, it looks quite good to me, looks like a church I went to when I was quite young. yes

Thanks. Yes as you say many churches will have side halls with a kitchen. My current church has a separate building with a kitchen for events. Often however money is scarce which is why you see very a plain institutional appearance.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited November 2021

Ascania said:

???

From my experience, which is only in the midwest & south USA regarding churches, they all do. Catholic Churches too, but not as much or for as many activities. Some churches were so easy going, you could go when no one was there and go in an open door so that you could go into the church dining area on a weekday and get food out of their fridge to eat. When we tried that in Amsterdam and surrounding areas in the Netherlands however, the doors were locked. I think only because Europe is overrun with day & night tourism though.

They also have one and two week long Vacation Bible Schools, usually in June, teach us how to make art projects (famous dried bean and macaroni art), regularly took us skating and to the beaches, and other types of one day recreational excursions. It was all a lot of great fun. Some, not many, send some teenage members on distant excusions that sound more like expensive vacations to the rest of us who never been to those places, but that is something new, now that national and international travel has become so relatively inexpensive. 

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • Ascania said:

???

My wife was a Church Warden at our local Church until she'd reached the maximum 6 years in post. At that church there is a 1960's Church Hall with a kitchen & seating area used weekly for 'Women's Breakfast' at 9am on Saturdays. The kitchen was, before Covid, used for cooking a hot meal for the homeless twice weekly. The main meeting room looks just like that. Under my wife's watch as warden, the South Transept of the church (dating to 1348) has had a kitchen fitted so the church itself can be used too. That has made for a much colder, but otherwise more pleasant, environment for providing the homeless with meals, leaving Church house to have the washing machine, dryer, toilets & showers. Currently there are two regulars (John & Muhammed) who sleep in the porch of Church House because they can't keep their lives together enough to stay in the nearby homeless hostel - the problem is alchohol & drugs. It has been amazing how all the local homeless have looked after one another during the various Covid lockdowns.

Regards,

Richard

• The Lutheran church I used to go to had a large kitchen and communal area for meals and functions too, they always had coffee and nibbles after church

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited November 2021

Ascania said:

???

Older churches tend to have them in the basements and ones with more modern architecture like from the 60s onward, occasionally seem to lack big basements, so they are often in a separate "wing" or different section of the building... they are usually more meeting areas than dedicated food service areas... like they lack real kitchens, although a few in my old neighborhood actually had quite capable kitchen area (but they were built in the late 1800s and likely acted as soup kitchens or something at one time)... these are areas are mostly where they hold Bingo games, bake sales and nun fights... (okay maybe that was just the church I went to as a kid)... Catholic churches sometimes have a school on the grounds, so sometimes the cafeteria or lunchroom serves as meeting/feasting area.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,372

Synagogues / temples have areas for eating together as well, would fit just fine there as well! Cool job.

tsroemi said:

Synagogues / temples have areas for eating together as well, would fit just fine there as well! Cool job.

They do! I have another scene to create set in a Synagogue where it's a friend's Bar Mitzvah.

True story - they lined us all up to the side of this set of tressle tables, all in a line, then said take a sip of each alcoholic drink to see what it tastes like. I was cautious but I did taste a snowball for the first time. I'm looking forward to creating that scene.Thanks for the encouragement.

• I enjoyed your series of Sci Fi Funk.
    edited January 2022

@Barefoot Upto My Soul Thank you for remembering my work. The good news is I'm still working on it. I've just not published anything for a few years. I've gone back to DAZ from Carrara (for the most part), and I'm getting up to speed on the newer techniques like dForce.

I hope to start building up my Gallery on here including test animations soon, and then beef up the early episodes before going on to the newer ones. I will share the updated work on here then.

Cheers!

• ElpanosSutraElpanosSutra Posts: 1
    edited January 2023

Wow, your Church Dining Area looks amazing! I'm really impressed by your attention to detail and the way you've brought the scene to life. You have a lot of talent and skill when it comes to creating digital art.
    I love that you're using a combination of Daz and Carrara to bring your vision to life. It's great to see you exploring new software and techniques to achieve the look you want. I'm sure your hard work and dedication will pay off in the end.
    I also appreciate creating lighter scenes. It can be challenging to get the lighting just right, but it's definitely worth the effort.

Post edited by ElpanosSutra on
  • Ascania said:

???

Churchs in depression era 1900s all the way to recent 2020s have soup kitchens for those in need and some are also a place to donate food baskets and clothes, books, household supplies. You might even meet the ghost of Edith Keeler if you believe.