Need your advice on purchasing a PC for Daz 3D Rendering

2»

Comments

• Today I'm heading to the bank to get my daily limit raised then I'm going to Microcenter to see what they have.
  • So how did it go?

• RoseSaxtonRoseSaxton Posts: 38
    edited November 2021

Here's what I got at Microcenter;

POWERSPEC G469 $2,800

Intel I9 10850K 3.6GHz (compromised here to save $600)

32GB (max 64) RAM

1TB SSD

NVIDIA Geoforce GTX 3080T Video memory 12GB

10 core Smart cache 20MB

AIO cooling

Mobo MSI Z490

750W Power

Other specs in the picture.

Monitor is 27", 4k, IPS, ASUS brand, beautiful display, strong stand $500 Windows 11, speakers on the monitor, lots of ports, expansion bays, 3 years malware protection, 1 yr warrantee.

All of this out the door including tax = $3,700 Much cheaper than the $4300 without a monitor.

Very happy and I feel like I got what I wanted. It booted fine. Haven't loaded Daz yet. Exhausted. Took me 6 hours of hard work today plus weeks of research, but it's done. Thank you all so much. More after a nap...

20211129_151238.jpg
    4000 x 3000 - 3M
    20211129_114310.jpg
    4000 x 3000 - 2M
    Post edited by RoseSaxton on
  • AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,227
    edited November 2021

You did well. Just to point out the motherboard on that system supports up to 128gbs of ram.  

It has the same processor as mine.

Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
    edited November 2021

AgitatedRiot said:

You did well. Just to point out the motherboard on that system supports up to 128gbs of ram.  

It has the same processor as mine.

Oh, awesome! I was worried about that. 

I got Daz set up and I am able to view in Iray as I edit. Some things are still a little slow and I went back to texture shaded, but OMG, the render time is like WOW!!!
    What used to take 2 hours takes 1 minute!!! I increased the max samples to 10K and it ran for 2 minutes at UHD pixel size. 
    So I'm going to have to learn to max this baby out! 

I also felt like a total newbie in Daz again for some reason, but I did get these two renders. The brighter red was 1 minute. The darker was 2 minutes. LOL. 

Thanks for checking on me. I feel like I wasn't alone through this adventure.

Giulia render.png
    3840 x 2160 - 4M
    Giulia render 2.png
    3840 x 2160 - 4M
  • I know you have a different system. The thing I notice is when I built this machine the processor on my machine would default on the first 2 cores 5.2 GHz the rest ran at 4.8GHz. Again My Machine. When I would render the processor kept hitting the thermal throttle. When means the processor was protecting itself So I had to underclock the processor from the default settings. Windows system will show you it's running at 3.6 but it's not as you can see by my screenshot. Yes, I have liquid cooling also. So keep an eye open for that.

2021-11-30.png
    3840 x 1080 - 396K
  • It seems to be running hot. Not sure I understood what you said. Where can I learn more about managing the temperatures and clock speed?
  • If you look at the far right you will see default settings and my settings. My motherboard came with Intel extreme overclocking or something like that it let me lower the clock speed so thermal throttling won't be an issue. You can get that program from Intel.
  • Name of it is the screenshot.
  • RoseSaxton said:

AgitatedRiot said:

It's still at the same price today.

It was and I got the payment to go through using a third party payment plan. So I think it's a go now! 

It still says cancelled. Darn it.

I don't like Newegg. They locked my account and voided the transaction. 

That's generally how it works. Due to your bank declining the payment, this becomes an indicator to Newegg that there's possible fraudulent activity, so they will lock the account until things get sorted out. Banks will always have some kind of limits in place, so unless you call them in advance to have the limit temporarily raised/removed AND have some way to immediately verify that it is you performing the transaction(i.e. cell phone confirmation), you'll never be able to make a purchase of that size. Just calling the bank in advance will not allow the transaction to be accepted automatically because the large dollar amount will still get flagged as suspicious by their system. Without any way to confirm that it is you until the bank/credit card fraud dept. calls you, they will end up placing a hold on the transaction and repeated attempts will get your bank account frozen. This is to protect both you and the bank since the bank would be the one picking up the tab if a fraudulent charge is automatically allowed to go through. Hence the reason for the added requirement of transaction confirmation. You don't want to raise the limit on your card and then by chance have someone charge a $5k+ purchase to it that you didn't make.

•  

That's generally how it works. Due to your bank declining the payment, this becomes an indicator to Newegg that there's possible fraudulent activity, so they will lock the account until things get sorted out. 

Thank you. I learned so much from this. Now I know my max is $2K and if I have a purchase coming up, I need to call them. I did call them and it worked yesterday. They verified me over the phone.  

• AgitatedRiot said:

If you look at the far right you will see default settings and my settings. My motherboard came with Intel extreme overclocking or something like that it let me lower the clock speed so thermal throttling won't be an issue. You can get that program from Intel.

I'm working on this right now. I installed the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. I also installed MSI Afterburner and Heaven Benchmark. Will report back after I have it done. 

• Load a very large scene and make sure the Intel utility is running. We want it to fall back to the CPU to render take a look at the intel utility bottom right. watch for red colors? 

• AgitatedRiot said:

Load a very large scene and make sure the Intel utility is running. We want it to fall back to the CPU to render take a look at the intel utility bottom right. watch for red colors? 

I used the utility to optimize the clock and matched your settings as far as enabling things.

I ran a render for 30 minutes and the max temp was 83C but it stayed constant at that. The temp was throttling the entire time and the CPU was 100% the entire time. I didn't quite understand the speeds yet.

It seems to be the same when editing in Iray mode.

It felt very hot on the glass but then I read that this temp might be okay? So I just let it run. Not sure why this render took so much longer than the 1 minute one, but I'm still learning all the settings.

It came out beautifully, so I think I need to accept that the 3080 will be hot when using it but it's okay as long as the CPU doesn't shut down?

I need to learn more because son wants to play games but I think it's pretty safe.

I can really see improved quality in the render when I zoom in and compared to the others I'd done before on the same settings. It's like my old computer never got there where this one got there within 30 minutes.

I think I was just surprised how hot because I thought it was F but it's C and the 100% CPU I think is probably okay?

Giulia 3 edited translucent square.png
    1287 x 1287 - 3M
    temp.png
    1771 x 359 - 99K
    edited December 2021

Here you can see the difference when I canceled the render after 10 minutes (bottom image) versus letting it run for 30 (top image). I kinda like the dreamy/blurry textures, but the finished render looks a lot more real. I never saw any kind of detail like this before because everything took forever and was always sorta blurry. I was sharpening it in PS.

Giulia compare.png
    364 x 710 - 372K
  •  You can get wonderful results, up the samples rate I don't use render quality I up the samples and time and let it run more samples better the result. I also use the Post Denoiser. 

• 30 minutes render on this.

• It's running at 85C for gaming and 83C for Daz. I think that's too high. I need to keep working on it.

• The Cpu or the GPU?

• AgitatedRiot said:

The Cpu or the GPU?

I think it's the CPU. I think I can fix it by increasing the fan speed or "profiles" using the MSI Afterburner and stuff but I need to keep reading more. It's confusing. 

• I might get a little techie here The processor is fine at that temp. TJunction Temperature of 100°C kills the processor, but with the new processors even if it hits 100c protect themselves by thermal throttling begins so it is good to know that the processor is not reaching or going above that.

GPU The typical recommended operating temperatures of an RTX 3080 range between 0C to 95C. Seems the kill point is around 120

• AgitatedRiot said:

I might get a little techie here The processor is fine at that temp. TJunction Temperature of 100°C kills the processor, but with the new processors even if it hits 100c protect themselves by thermal throttling begins so it is good to know that the processor is not reaching or going above that.

GPU The typical recommended operating temperatures of an RTX 3080 range between 0C to 95C. Seems the kill point is around 120

I increased the fan profile and now the max temp is  78 and everything sounds a lot quieter.