Alpha channel with open gl rendering

RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

is there a way to get a transparent alpha channel when rendering in open gl as png (per pixel shading on) ?

Comments

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

It's nothing to do with how you render, it's how you save the render. You'll get a transparent alpha if you save in .png or .tif format.

I think the alpha is created no matter what you do with the render settings, it's just that saving the render as a .jpg or .bmp flattens the image so that the alpha channel disappears.

Nearly forgot; which version of D|S are you using? The newest D|S4.7 has a different way of accessing the background colour settings, which also includes an on/off switch for a true transparent alpha — it's in a new tab named Environment.

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited March 2015

thank you for trying to help
    I am using 4.7
    I know the environment tab very well
    if you could tell me how to render a transparent backdrop
    with basic open gl I would be happy
    I do not get it to work
    not visible in render does not help

Post edited by Ruphuss on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Are you sure you're viewing the finished and saved render in a program that knows how to properly handle an alpha channel? Not all of them do. Some default to showing whatever's in the alpha channel, whether it's a "backdrop" image placed in D|S, or just blank. Some have a switch setting that lets you ignore or discard the alpha channel data. How are you viewing your renders?

The problem is nothing to do with "basic OpenGL", and the "visible in render" setting will make no difference — unless you mean the setting in the Environment pane? Can you open your Environment pane, take a screenshot, and post it here?

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

I seems neither of the OpenGL render options create an alpha channel.

• peter.cordespeter.cordes Posts: 5
    edited March 2015

ruphuss said:
    is there a way to get a transparent alpha channel when rendering in open gl as png (per pixel shading on) ?

Hello,

AFAIK Daz Studio does not support alpha-channel on rendering with open-gl.
    Alpha-channel ist only supported on 3d-elight rendering.

Greets
    Peter

Post edited by peter.cordes on
  • skydatskydat Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

There is an easy work around if you have access to Adobe Premier Pro. Set the background to pure white 255,255,255. Open it up in Premier and use Color Key ( the new name for Chroma Key) to remove the background. This is the technique used by green screen sci fi films. I did a massive render and forgot to untick render background, this saved me.

Premier is available to rent on a monthly basis, and there is also a 30 day free trial. It would not surprise me if the video editor in Blender (free) can do this as well but I have not tried. Hope this helps.