Custom bones and duplicate formula error

RaketeRakete Posts: 88
edited November 2021 in New Users

So there are plenty of threads that I could find that deal with the duplicate formula issue, and that is not really the main topic of this question. I have created a figure with several morph products, then I added some custom bones to that figure and finally created a custom morph for this figure (so that I would not always have to load all those morph products). I created the custom morph by exporting an obj, loading it with the morph loader, fitting the bones to the new shape and finally erc freezing the morph. Which worked fine at first.

The problem (the duplicate formula error) started happening because I repeated this process for a second character. So the error is always complaining about my custom bones, basicly the morph of the first character refers to these custom bones, and in the second character I just added the same custom bones, with the same name, and also erc freeze them in a second full body morph. So now daz sees these two morphs as conflicting on the same property (the custom bones). Something like this is happening I believe.

Now, I wonder how to properly solve this problem? I've been thinking that instead of what I did, which is design each character, the add custom bones to each, I should maybe first create a base figure with my custom bones, the apply my sliders to it and create a full body morph from that?

Post edited by Rakete on

Comments

• You wouldn't get the error unless both ends of the ERC had the same name, or you did two runs of ERC Freeze on the same property while adjusting (you need to use ERC Bake, available from right-click on the link in the Property Hierarchy pane, if you want to tweak the joint adjustments after freezing them).

By the way, exporting as OBJ to create a new morph is not the best way to proceed - aside from having to redo the joint adjustments you also lose any morph adjustments (e.g. JCMs for bends or MCMs to make sure things like closing the eyes still works) - and of coruse you can't share the results with others. A better approach, if you want a single slider for your character, is to create a new property and then use ERC Freeze to link that, at 100%, to all the mirpsh that make up the shape - that way all the adjustments are still triggered correctly.

• RaketeRakete Posts: 88
    edited November 2021

I actually noticed the issue that I lose JCMs and MCMs with this approach and started making my own corrective JCM/MCMs for my figure. So I guess what you mean is basicly creating one slider which controls all the other sliders that make up the shape of my figure?

I've already done that, but the problem with that is a) one of my figures uses a lot of sliders and so having just one slider applying the entire shape (from an obj, not by moving a ton of other sliders) is easier to work with and b) I want export partial geoshells (for example just torso with arms but without hands) and then import them again, use the transfer tool to make them wearable, and then use them as collision item for clothing so that for example a pose with hands on hips does not make the hands stick through the shirt on the character when the shirt has mesh smoothing enabled.

So b) also works when I just use the one slider which combines all my shape sliders, but it means I need to transfer all morph that I used to make the shape of my figure to the imported geoshell, and that ends up creating either a huge scene when I just save it in the scene, or it creates a huge asset when I save the wearable geoshell thing as support asset. Think it was around ~200MB just for all the morphs and their dependencies last time I tried, I transfered favorite morphs and for that just made all morphs I used favorites, so I probably ended up transfering too much.

EDIT: Also, since you've mentioned not being able to share the exported obj: if I only used my own morphs, and/or morph products which are "merchant resources", then I would be able to share the resulting obj, no? I used Rarestones morphs mostly, which do mention on their product page that they are a merchant resources. Either way, I only plan to render this figure, I don't plan to share the figure itself or the obj of it.

Post edited by Rakete on