Please help with render settings

Hello. I have a i5 on a z77 sabertooth motherboard with 32gb of ram and a evega geforce gtx 1660 gtx graphics card with 6gigs od gpu ram and 16 g of chared ram. When rendering my system will always use the cpu not the gpu. No mater how I set my advanced setting. the following render used all 6gb of gpu ram none of the shared gpu ram 27.6gn of system ram. 100%cpu, and 1% gpu. I canlcled the next day at 10+ hours 63% complete. Looking for a trick to get the gpu to acculay help. or setting in the genneral tab to lower how much work my system is doing without having a large impact to quality of the sceane. Sugestion will be huggly appreciated.

Comments

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

Iray only uses the ram on the Nvidia graphics card, not the shared ram. If the scene fills the 6GB on the card Iray will fall back to CPU which is the reason for the long render.

• so tried again when i went out to suvvel some snow 1hr 45 min at 60% only 3% short of 10 hours with the same settings? I have noticed this before but neve to this degree of some renders taking way longer then others with no changes to render enviroment.

• only difrence is my cp did not shut of my monitor this time, could that really make a diffrence in rendors?

• Okay so at 63% this time in 1 hour 5o minutes no change is to daz what so ever. only difrence is the following. I have my pc hooked up to my 4k main tv. I swapped over to using my xbox on the tv and my pc thats set to turn of monitor after 2 hour  but never turn off cpu put the screen to standby. Could this really impact rendering, or is daz that inconsistant at render times? I did not ever move the camera angle or interact with the view screen at all between renders.

• QuixotryQuixotry Posts: 898

You might want to try using Scene Optimizer and look through the forums for other advice on how to cut down the overall size of the scene. That can help a lot with a big scene.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

It sound like you have the Monitor plugged into your Graphics Card, try plugging it into the Graphics on the Motherboard and see if that makes a difference.

• I've noticed sometimes, even when I setup a simple render, it will take a while to do.  I cancel it, save the scene out, close out Daz, let it clear out the memory cache, then fire it up again, load the scene again and re-run the render.  Tends to go smoother.