GPUs

brffns98brffns98 Posts: 0
edited November 2021 in New Users

Hi everyone, I'm new to 3d. I am building a pc especially to use Daz3d, I have purchased a Ryzen 7 1700, 32 ram and I am missing the GPU which I do not know which would be the most convenient. I am thinking of buying an AMD R9 Fury 390, do you think it would be a good investment? Does daz3d work with AMD GPUs or just Invidia?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• An AMD GPU will not be used by Iray. it will be used for dForce simulations.

• Best bet would be to get nVidia so you can utilize iray.  You can get a GTX 1660Ti for around the same price and it out performs the R9 390.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,473

bvgiroux_fbbb1654d3 said:

Best bet would be to get nVidia so you can utilize iray.  You can get a GTX 1660Ti for around the same price and it out performs the R9 390.

The RTX functions are emulated in software for GTX cards, which eats up VRAM that you don't have enough on the 1660Ti anyways.

At this time and day, I would consider 8GB RTX card the minimum, but the way products are increasing the VRAM usage, even that may not be enough this time next year.

• I agree, though RTX cards are hard to get a hold of right now.  I've got an RTX 3070 and works just fine.  But, many people do use the GTX 1660 without issues.

• PerttiA said:

Best bet would be to get nVidia so you can utilize iray.  You can get a GTX 1660Ti for around the same price and it out performs the R9 390.

The RTX functions are emulated in software for GTX cards, which eats up VRAM that you don't have enough on the 1660Ti anyways.

At this time and day, I would consider 8GB RTX card the minimum, but the way products are increasing the VRAM usage, even that may not be enough this time next year.

I've seen this a lot, but i haven't been able to find any hard numbers on the difference it makes.

How much more ram does it use?

And is it just certain render settings that enable the higher ram usage, or is it just the render engine itself?

DrunkMonkeyProductions said:

PerttiA said:

I've seen this a lot, but i haven't been able to find any hard numbers on the difference it makes.

And is it just certain render settings that enable the higher ram usage, or is it just the render engine itself?

Someone with a GTX card should tell us, I have an 8GB RTX 2070 Super, and the max I can render on GPU is about 5.7GiB as reported by DS log (Geometry+Textures+Working Space) that's when GPU-Z reports 7.8GB's of VRAM in use. 

• PerttiA said:

DrunkMonkeyProductions said:

PerttiA said:

Someone with a GTX card should tell us, I have an 8GB RTX 2070 Super, and the max I can render on GPU is about 5.7GiB as reported by DS log (Geometry+Textures+Working Space) that's when GPU-Z reports 7.8GB's of VRAM in use. 

If you use the same video card to power 2 monitors @ 1080P, you need about 1.5 Gb of VRAM, so effectively you only have 6.5 Gb to render. Most folks don't take into account of the hardware or even some software running in the background to use the resources.

I'm running three 1920x1200 monitors with a 2070 Super, and with just the OS (W7) running, the VRAM usage is 200MB's, starting DS uses 170MB's

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,772

I´d say you need an NVIDIA card with at least 8GB, more is better.