DSON core installer

LJWMLJWM Posts: 126
edited December 1969 in New Users

What is this? And why is it necessary in some products? I don't use DIM (Install Manager) because it didn't load all my files a while back and now I just load everything manually and check the files to be sure they are in the right place. Is the DIM the key to having products with the DSON Core version of a product?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,959
    edited December 1969

The DSON core installer contains native DAZ Studio files, that don't need the Poser files. Similarly a Poser Core installer will contain Poser files that work without needing the DAZ Studio files. You will also see CF or Companion File installers - when they are PoserCFs with a DSON Core they are the files that go in the Poser library to allow the DSON Importer to load the content in Poser; DAZ StudioCFs are usually material settings to be applied to the Poser core files after they are imported into DS.

• LJWMLJWM Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

Okay, had to read that several times. So in English this means when I'm manually installing files I need to install all files including those that have Poser in the title as well as anything that states PoserCF. These files can be used in DAZ Studio under the Poser Library. Is this correct? And how do I know I'm installing the DSON core files?

• generalxanosgeneralxanos Posts: 14
    edited March 2015

One thing that helped me figure it out for poser users is this youtube video by Jen Greenlees: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yagf9UsHEmI
    Subject "Install content DS poser"
    Hope this helps

Post edited by generalxanos on
    edited March 2015

I will check it out but I'm not a Poser user. I bought Poser, paid a lot of money and could never figure it out. At least after using Daz I didn't have the patience to learn it. It may be why I'm having the issue. I've not been installing anything labeled Poser.

Post edited by LJWM on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,959
    edited December 1969

You need the PoserCF files only if you are a Poser 9+ user with the DSON Importer. For DS you need the DSON Core files, if any; if there aren't, then you generally need the Poser version and the DAZ Studio CF if both exist.

edited December 1969

This is very confusing. So what I should do is just download everything into My Library and hope for the best. My hard drive is getting full and I was hoping only to install DS files. I downloaded a product that stated it includes the DSON installer and apparently I need it to attach it to the required product but I can't find the DSON file or at least I can't identify it. I will look again and see if I downloaded it from DAZ. But I'm so confused I may just get a refund and let it go.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

1) If the file for a product doesn't specify DS/Ps/Legacy/PoserCF/StudioCF as part of its name, just install that file.
    2) If there are multiple files, install the one labeled DS.\
    3) If there is no DS, install the Ps and the StudioCF.

edited March 2015

Now I think I understand.. It's possible that I'm just installing the wrong files. Most of the time it's no problem but I've run into a problem and this helps. Except now I'm going to go back and install all those files that I maybe should have. I should be done sometime next year. LOL. Now I'm wondering if all those products I've returned may just be that I didn't install the right files. Man... oh well, too late now. Thanks again.

Post edited by LJWM on